In the case that your computer freezes and all that is left is a black screen (with mouse cursor), you can try the below solution:
- Place the Windows 7 disc in the drive and boot from it.
- When "Press any key to boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD" appears, press any key to start booting from installation disc.
- Note: If you failed to boot from the installation disc then make sure first boot device is set as CD\DVD Drive.
- When the language preference appears, click on Next.
- When "Install Now" appears --> Click on "Repair your computer" found at the bottom.
- Click on "Next" --> Select the option "Use recovery tools that can fix problems starting Windows" and click on "Next" --> When "System Recovery Options" appear --> Select the option "Startup Repair".
- If the problem still exists, follow the above steps again and this time select the option "System Restore" and follow the instructions.
Thanks to jack4rall for this tip.