I have removed my USB key without going through the "Safely Remove hardware option" and since then, when I plug-in the device, I'm getting the following error message:
G:\ cannot be accessed.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error
How can I recover the data from the device?
To solve this issue, change the transfer mode of your CD-ROM in the properties of the IDE channel. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
- Under Computer Management (Local), click on Device Manager.
- In the right pane, expand IDE ATA / ATAPI.
- Right click on the channel to which your CD-ROM drive is connected, and then click Properties. In general, this channel is the Secondary IDE Channel.
- Under the Advanced tab in the Transfer Mode box of the device that represents your CD-ROM drive, select "PIO Only"
Thanks to Rediam
for this tip.
This document, titled « USB key - Unable to access device: I/O device error », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM