A domain name is an Internet address that provides access to a website. It is a alphabetical name associated with an extension.
The website address of your company takes the following format: www.your-domain-name.extension
- The name chosen is CCM
- The domain name is ccm.net
- The extension is .net
A domain name avoids the numeric display the Internet address of the site, which basically is the IP address (consists of a sequence of digits).
It is easy for a company to choose a domain name. It is most often based on the company name, brand or particular product.
But you should also consider 3 important factors:
- A shorter bane is easier to remember.
- The optimal range for a domain name is from 3 to 63 characters
- Multiple words may be associated using dashes
- The upper-case letters are prohibited
- Accents are allowed since May 3, 2012:
- E.g It becomes possible to record domain names comprising of one or more of the thirty special characters (under the .fr extension).
- The full list of new characters include letters, á, â, ã, ä, ??å, æ, ç, è, é, ê, ë, ì, í, î, ï, ñ, ò, ó, ô, õ , ö, oe, ù, ú, û, ü, ý, ÿ and ß.
- Numbers from 0 to 9 are allowed
To check the availability of a domain name (name + extension) you can perform a "Whois", a special type of query made over Internet Registries that allows you to know the name of the site administrator (the person or entity who acquired the domain name).
- You can buy a domain name from an online "registrar".
- Registrar: accredited by the competent authorities in the allocation and management of Internet domain names.
- Only buy domain name from a registrar accredited by the ICANN (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority).
- Most often the registrar provides a complete solution (domain name + web hosting service)
- Domain names need to be renewed (each year or each decade)
- The registrar needs to notify the administrator of the site before the end of the lease
List of accredited registrars http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html
The choice of the extension of your domain name is very important. Indeed, each type of extension serves a different purpose: some are better connotations than others:
International extensions, it concerns primarily commercial sites. This extension is the most used in the world.
Originally scheduled for organizations or associations websits, it is now widespread.
Originally scheduled for geek networks (Computer enthusiasts), it has since become widespread.
It refers to news sites, but can also be used for all types of websites.
Abbreviation for "business", this extension was created for business and trades.
There are several factors to be considered in order to protect your domain name. Everything depends on the communication strategy adopted. A company that has foreign markets must also consider taking such extension based the countries concerned and also aquire domain name with all the common extensions (.com, .biz ..). This will help to:
- Prevent collusion with another domain with a similar name.
- To ensure a very low error rate when a customer enters the address of the site.
- To avoid being a victim of domain parking, a technique to redirect unused domain names to advertising links.
Published by deri58
Latest update on February 28, 2018 at 05:46 AM by Jeff.