Upon opening Microsoft Outlook the following message is being displayed:
- Cannot open your default e-mail folders. File access is denied. You do not have the permissions required to access the file C:\Users\path_to_.pst file.
- Clicking on the OK button closes Outlook.
This happen when you have moved the PST file from its orignal location and replaced it again.
- Click in Start > Control Panel > Mail
- The Mail Setup dialog shall open up, click on Data Files button.
- Now you may be confronted to 2 situations:
- Path to .pst file is already present----> select the mail folder (highlight) and click on "Set as Default".
- .pst file is absent -----> click on Add -----> browse for mail folder and click on "Set as Default".
- Close the Mail Setup dialog.
Note that: Prior to these manipulation, make sure that your .pst file is not locked in read only mode.
- Right-click on the file > Properties > Uncheck "Read-Only" attribute.
This document, titled « Outlook - Cannot open your default e-mail folders. File access is denied », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM