The Responsive Design (Advantages, Disadvantages, SEO)
What is Responsive Design?
People are increasingly making use of their mobile terminals (tablet and smartphones) to connect to the internet and it is important to adapt websites to the new browsing habits. Each terminal has its own features and limitations (such as the screen size) which will determine how a website will be displayed. The Responsive Design is a compelling solution if you wants have your website smoothly displayed on multiple screen sizes.
The advantages of Responsive Design
- The advantages of Responsive Design are numerous. This technique allows a website to automatically adapt itself to the different screen resolutions. This technique allows the universal viewing a website using the CSS 3 new rules and properties (Media Queries, micro formats ...), supported by the vast majority of browsers.
- Columns and images are automatically adjusted, resized and moved automatically according to the screen resolution. This technique allows optimum ergonomics in preserving the layout and the display of the information from the website.
- The Responsive Design is a strategic long-term solution and you don't have to worry bout redirecting users to another version of your website. Once deployed, there is very little maintenance to perform and the cost of development is often lower than creating and maintaining a dedicated mobile site.
- Responsive Design also implies having a unique URL: perfect for promotional campaigns.
The disadvantages of Responsive Design
- If there are many benefits, there are still some drawbacks to Responsive Design. These include a longer loading time. Most of the time, users (browsers) are obliged to download useless a HTML/CSS codes. Similarly, the images are often stretched and not simply resized causing a negative impact on the loading time.
- Responsive Design won't allow you to easily adjust the titles, descriptions and other content on mobile phones. In addition, the development of Responsive Design websites takes more time.
The Responsive Design and SEO
- The SEO of a Responsive Design based websites is not a real problem. This is the ideal option if you want to have a single website in different versions. The images previews of a certain width in the results pages of a search engine represent a considerable asset for SEO.
- In addition, the indexing is much better with Responsive Design, which adapts to all type of media display. In addition, the fact that you are using a single URL will help in reducing the costs related to SEO.
- The Responsive Design is definitely an effective solution to provide an optimal user experience. This is a major evolution of web design inviting designers to take a new challenge. Disadvantages and limitations of using this technique are easily overcome by putting more emphasis on the design and development stages of your website.