My laptop has recently stopped detecting external storage devices. When plugged-in to the computer, there's a small notification indicating that a device has been connected, but it won't appear under My Computer.
This problem may happen when USB ports has been disabled! to enable just follow these steps, to enable them:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit, then click OK.
- Locate, and then click the following registry key:
- In the right pane, double-click Start.
- In the Value data box, type 3, click Hexadecimal (if it is not already selected), and then click OK.
- Quit Registry Editor.
Thanks to moneymaker1
for this tip.
This document, titled « Windows won't detect external storage devices », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM