In this tutorial you will learn, to format, enlarge or reduce the size of a partition, especially the system partition (which can't be done using the Windows partition manager).
Warning: Make sure to save your important data on an external drive, as any mishandling may lead to the loss/damage of your data.
- If your system has a dual boot (several OS), formattin the partition might erase the boot loader of one of the installed OS.
- If you accidentally deleted the bootloader you will need to re-install GRUB.
- If you have XP: Repair the Windows XP startup.
- If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7: How to fix Windows Vista/7 startup
Creating the Live CD
From the homescreen:
- Select your language and select "Try Ubuntu".
- Once the desktop loaded, go to the "System" tab and then "Administration" > "Gparted partition editor".
- Right-click on the partition you want to format, and then choose "format to" and select the format.
- Once you configured all your settings, go to the Edit tab and click on "Apply all operations."