How to build your digital identity on the web? Several simple actions may help to promote the positioning of your name on the search engines: an essential step in your personal branding strategy, specially when more and more recruiters use "Name Googling " to find information about the candidates.
Here are some tips to get started.
Learn how to manage your digital identity!
Three significant facts:
- 90% of online search are made via Google, so it's important to optimize your presence on the result pages.
- "Name googling" (look for the name of a candidate) is practiced by about 70% employers. This method may be used to check the information on a resume, and to evaluate the influence of a candidate in his area of ??expertise on the web.
- A study in the United States by Jobvite, published in June 2012, shows that nearly 90% of recruiters integrate the use social networks in the search of new talents.
Digital Identity: make a benchmark using Google
The first step is to check the visibility of your name on the web via Google.
Here is the result of a search using the name "Patrick Smith
This search reveals several important information:
- Queries contained in a domain name usually appear first in the search results, then the results from Wikipedia (if applicable), followed by the profiles from social networks (Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus), and then videos on Youtube.
- Google displays a selection of images related to the query.
Some important questions you should ask yourself:
- Is your name and associated business information displayed on the first page of Google?
- Are your pictures and videos, displayed.
- Your name appear on pages without interest.
What if you have a very common name?
- If your name is very common, it can be difficult to position on search engines.
The domain name remains one of the most important criteria for SEO, it may be useful to buy a domain name like (www.name.com) and then create your own website/blog.
- Link the domain name to a paid service like Google's Blogger.
Selecting the right social networks, customize your URL
Social networks are the ideal platfrom to develop your digital identity:
- Some are more visible than others (e.g, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- Focus on sites where you are active.
Once registered, do not forget to customize your URL for the search engine optimization of your profile pages.
Update your blog and social profile pages regularly
Regular updates (new publications) is an important criterion to position a blog/Twitter account on Google. It is therefore important to regularly update such accounts, especially if they are linked to your real identity.
Separate personal and professional content by creating multiple profiles
In order to avoid any confusion social networks, create multiple profiles: one for personal use (a pseudonym), the other for professional use with your real identity.
Lock the privacy settings of your social profiles
Lock your privacy settings if you share photos from your Picasa albums on Facebook, as they are linked to your name/email address.
Note that: Photos tagged with your name, or associated to your Picasa profile stand out on Google Images.
This document, titled « Manage your digital identity on the web », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM