Sites developed with WordPress CMS and Joomla are subject to a surge of brute force attacks lately. Hackers seek, through this process, to take possession of the "administrator" account, by cracking the related password. How to protect yourself from these type of attack?
The brute force attack is a process that aims to recover the site administrator account credentials, by testing all possible combinations of the password associated with this account.
Securing your WordPress and Joomla blog.
Several actions can be taken, in order to prevent this type of attack (and other potential threats):
- Delete the "administrator" accounts having the word "Admin" for identifier (and other simple derivatives): replace them by a more complex name.
- Choose a complex password
- For a WordPress blog, activate strong authentication (two factors) feature.
- Keep your CMS and installed plugins up-to-date.
- Under WordPress: block access to WP-LOGIN.PHP using a HTACCESS file. This will protect the administration pane using a login/password mechanisms!
- Protect your Joomla or WordPress websites against brute force attacks
- Protect your SSH server against brute-force attacks - How-To - Ubuntu
- Brute force android pin - Guide
- Wordpress and Joomla Domains Hacked - News
- Remove write protection from usb - Guide
- You've tried to log in too many times. to protect your account, a temporary block has been placed on logging in. please try agai ✓ - Forum - Facebook