Manually- using the cloning tool
The cloning tool is useful to remove elements from a photo.
- For example, to remove someone from a photo, delete a plane in the sky or flaws from a photo.
- This tool is present in Photoshop but also in many free software like Gimp.
- The following video will show you how to use the cloning tool of Gimp:
Using the Resynthesize filter
The "Resynthesize" plugin for Gimp can automatically remove elements of an image. Of course the end results may not be perfect and require additional manaul editing.
Using the Lasso tool, outline the item you want to remove.
Go to the Filters menu> Map> Resynthesize> ok.
Note that: The "Resynthesizer" plugin will give good results when the following conditions are met:
- Texture to be restored is not regular (clouds, earth ...).
- Texture to be restored is present in significant proportions in the original image.
- Texture to be restored is a simple one (contains few other textures).er.
Note that: the images have been modified using the Resynthesize filter (without any manual editing).
This document, titled « Gimp - Remove elements from an image », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM