You want to have the numeric keypad (NumLock) enabled by default when booting your computer, just follow the below instructions:
- Open the registry (Windows + R > Run) and type "regedit"
- Then expand the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Control Panel\Keyboard.
- Click on 'New> Value> String Value' to create a new value and name it 'InitialKeyboardIndicators'.
- Finally, double-click on InitialKeyboardIndicators and enter '2 'in the "Data value" field.
- To turn-off numlock, simply set the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators to 0.
Note that: this trick is also valid for WindowsXP, Vista and 7.
This document, titled « Windows 8 - Enable the numeric keypad when booting PC », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM