In this tutorial you will learn how to run Android on your PC using a virtual machine.
- Requirements: A PC with a minimum of 1 GB RAM.
Installing the virtual machine
You can choose to install Virtual Box or Android SDK. However, it is recommended to install Android SDK which is a dedicated Android OS emulator!
Installing Virtual Box
Let's start by installing Virtual Box .
Start by downloading Virtual Box from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Choose the approriate installed based on the OS you are using..
Installing Android SDK
Download Android SDK (ADT Bundle for Windows) from this link http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Configuring the Virtual Machine
For Virtual Box
- Start Virtual Box and then click Create .
- A window appears, click Next.
- In the Operating System field select "Android"
- For the "Version" field select "Other/Unknown" and then click Next .
- You will be asked to set the amount of virtual memory (RAM )to allocate to the virtual machine, 512 MB are enough.
- Click on Next.
- Create a boot disk for Android, choose primary partition > Create new drive and then click on Next.
- A new window appears, click Next.
- Choose variable file size and then click Next .
- You will be asked set the size of the hard drive recently created (leave the default size- 2GB)
- A summary of your settings will be displayed.
- Click Finish.
Go to C:/Android and then double-click on SDK Manager. SDK Manager starts by asking you what you want to install, simply leave the default options checked . The download can take a long time so be patient.
If you receive an error message such as " Failed to fetch url ... " or that nothing happens for several minutes, then you'll have to force the program to use http instead of https. Close the "Refresh Sources
" and the "Choose Packages to Install
- Select "Settings" on the menu to the left of the "Android SDK and AVD Manager" window
- Check "Force https://... sources to be fetched using http://..."
- Click "Save and Apply"
- Restart the SDK Setup program.
- Once completed, this message appears , click YES ; the SDK manager will restart.
- You will get this page:
- Click on New and window will appear.
- Put the name of your choice.
- In the target field select Android 2.2
- In the SD Card size field enter 1024 to emulate an SD card of 1
- You can leave the Built-in and Hardware options as they are.
- Click create AVD an the start page of the SDK manager shall open. Select your machine and click start . Android launches.
Installing Android on Virtual Box
- Download the ISO image of Android 2.2 here: [ http://www.android-x86.org/download ]
- Choose the Android-x86-2.2-generic.iso
- Once the file is downloaded open Virtual Box and then start the virtual machine you have previously created.
- You are asked to select an ISO image, select the Android-x86-2.2-generic.iso.
- Select Installation and press Enter.
- Select create/modify partition and select New and click OK.
- Then choose your primary partition, set the maximum size you want to allocate to Android OS and press Enter.
- Then click on Bootable then press Enter .
- A menu will be displayed, select sda1 linux.
- You will be asked to choose a format for your partition, select ext3 .
- Next you will be asked to install GRUB, choose YES.
- At the next prompt select NO. Click on Run Android x86 and right-click on the CD icon to eject the disk.