Professionals can independently manage the process of creating and distributing e-books and books. How to break down this process? What are the tools available?
Self-publishing is the process of creating, formatting , publishing and distributing e- books (and possibly the paper version) by the author.
Reduce the cost related to the publishing of an ebook/book:
- distribution/marketing of an electronic or paper work.
The persons and entities concerned are:
- Independent authors.
- Experts in a technical field (marketing).
- Bloggers seeking to diversify their sources of income.
- Companies in all sectors seeking to publish a magazine, brochure , etc. .
It is important to choose a suitable distribution model and thus opt between the paid or free distribution of the ebook.
This choice depends mainly on:
- The contents of the book: is the content good enough (specific/quality/unique) to be marketed?
- The reputation of the author : authority on the web and social networks, large audience (website/blog).
- Its goal: bringing awareness and help readers to generate revenue.
- Its target : is there a demand for this type of content?
- The time available, due to operational constraints: choice of distribution platform, management of payment modules and inventory .
Both models are compatible : in the context of a paid distribution, it is wise to publish excerpts from a free digital book on a blog, for example.
In the case of free distribution: add the appropriate license for the reuse/distribution of the content.
The different steps:
- Market research (if you intend to sell your book)
- The format: text/illustrations
- Verification of compliance with copyright, if third party contents are being used.
- Writing, proofreading , content validation
- Layout and the hoice of desktop publishing tools : if the formatting is intended for printing , check the technical specifications required by the online provider (e.g file format) . Do not forget to include links to facilitate navigation in the final PDF document.
- Printing, proofreading.
- Choosing a distribution platform.
Communicate about your ebook:
- Create a Twitter account/Facebook page dedicated to the book, several months before the completion of the project.
- Regularly publish excerpts from the document.
is a free vector graphics editing software, making use of the Scalable Vector Graphics file format .
- It is an alternative to professional softwares such as CorelDraw and Illustrator.
- Inkscape allows you to create different graphic elements such as icons, logos, charts, etc. .
- It allows you to import images to Postscript, EPS , JPEG , PNG and TIFF formats.
- It includes different filters/effects.
is an open source software distributed under GPL license and is available on Linux/UNIX , Windows and MacOSX.
- It is an alternative to the InDesign software (create layouts).
- It allows you to create newspapers, brochures and any document requiring implementation of a specific form (inserting illustrations, tables,..etc).
is an open source image processing software (alternative to Photoshop), available on Windows, Linux and Mac OS .
- It includes a wide variety of image editing tools.
- It offers over 150 effects and filters classified by type .
- It provides various tools of transformation, selection and creation of layers.
- It works with different file formats (jpeg, gif, bmp, png, etc. . ).
Among the platforms to distribute digital books :