The new update for Windows 8 is available since October 17, 2013. How to install Windows 8.1 and what are the new features available?
The "Start" button is back under Windows 8.1.
- Left click to open the startscreen.
- Right click to access to features such as Control Panel, Task Manager and devices and shutdown options.
While appearance is similar, 8.1 brings more customization options:
- 4 sizes of thumbnails
- Use the same wallpaper for the desktop and startscreen.
- Windows 8.1 provides the ability to perform searches (on your computer and on the web) from your desktop.
- The cloud service is fully integrated to Windows 8.1.
Among the new options :
- Manage passwords.
- Configure SkyDrive..
- Configure the Search module.
- Migration from Windows XP and Vista to version 8.1 is not recommended by Microsoft. Technically, it is possible to update a PC when its configuration meets the minimum requirement.
- In this case, you will have a fresh installation of Windows (8.1). It is strongly recommended to backup all your data and applications.
- Follow the procedure described here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq-cce52341-7943-594e-72ce-e1cf00382445
- Migration of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 is the easiest to achieve.
- The creation of an installation DVD or USB key is not required , unlike other versions of Windows.
- FAQ from Microsoft
- Windows 8.1: Installation and new features
- Windows 8.1 install online - Guide
- Windows installer 3.1 for windows 8.1 64 bit - Download
- Windows 8.1 - How to enable the Peek to Preview feature - How-To - Windows 8
- The Mail app for Window 8.1 - Delete email messages using the Sweep feature - How-To - Windows 8
- Windows 8.1 - How to disable the Aero Snap feature - How-To - Windows 8