Gmail (Google email) is a webmail, a mailbox that can be accessed with a browser, like Hotmail, Yahoo Mail..etc
GMail was created by Google and comes with various features:
- Storage capacity of up to 7 GB
- management of messages by thread (very practical to follow a conversation)
- message labeling system (useful for classifying and searching emails)
- integrated search engine.
- auto-complete feature.
If you use a recent browser (Chrome, Firefox, Mozilla or Opera) you will enjoy the advanced features of Gmail: (faster loading of pages, keyboard shortcuts, automatic backup of mail in preparation, auto-completion, etc.).
In case of problems, you can use:
Your Gmail account can also be accessed via a standard mail client (like Outlook, Thunderbird
, IncrediMail, etc. ...). However, it requires a particular configuration. Indeed, it requires the use of SSL on port 995 (for the pop server), and TLS on ports 465 or 587.
To retrieve your messages using any mail client, you must enable the POP option (disabled by default). Here's how to proceed:
- Click on Settings
- Go to the "Forwarding and POP".
- Select "Enable POP for all mail".
- Click Activate Changes.
- Check in your mail client if the server name of your POP3 GMail account is pop.gmail.com.