Windows 8.1 fully integrates multitasking capabilities allowing you to seamlessly switch between your apps or use multiple apps simultaneously. As such applications downloaded from the Windows Store are automatically managed by your operating system (apps running in the background are automatically closed after a certain period of inactivity).
To close an app manually:
- Press Alt + F4 or Windows key + Down Arrow key to close app.
- Place the mouse cursor at the top of the app screen.
- (1) A small (black) ribbon will be displayed, click on the close (x) button.
- (2) Drag and drop the app window to lower edge of the screen, then release.
- Tap an hold on the application screen and drag the application icon to the bottom of the screen.
- Windows 8.1 - How to close apps
- Windows 8.1 - How to uninstall apps - How-To - Windows 8
- Windows 8.1 - How disable the App Switcher - How-To - Windows 8
- How to disable background apps in windows 8.1 - Guide
- How to Uninstall Apps Downloaded from the Windows Store on Windows 8.1 - How-To - Windows 8
- Create Desktop Shortcuts to Access Your Apps on Windows 8.1 - How-To - Windows 8