Windows 8 - How to disable the Start Screen (Metro)?
The Metro interface (which was renamed as Start Screen , following the conflict with the German Metro AG distribution group) is the new graphical interface powering Windows 8. If you want to find the traditional Start menu, several options are available!
Several applications allows you to get a classic start menu. Most of these softwares have two main features:
- Disabling the lower left corner actions
- Launching the desktop at startup. Start 8, while adding a Start menu to the taskbar
Among these softwares:
- Classic Shell
- Skip Metro Suite
Finally, you can disable the Metro interface via the "RPEnabled
" registry key (for versions prior to the release Consumer Preview).
- Press Windows Key + R
- Type "regedit" and press Enter
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.
- Double-click on "RPEnabled" and change the value from 1 to 2.
- Close the registry.
You can now create a shell command in a .scf file
- This file must be placed (hidden mode) in the "Startup" folder of Windows 8 (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ Programs\Startup).
- The content of the file:
This document, titled « Windows 8 - How to disable the Start Screen (Metro)? », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM