When the geolocation features of your Android device is enabled, your locations can be recorded by Google. This information is accessible from an online application: Google Location history
How does this application works? How to use the data?
Google Latitude once complemented Google Maps by identifying the geographic coordinates (latitude and longitude) of the user. Access to this online application ended in August 2013, as well as the geo data for third party applications using the API. Google Latitude was replaced by another online service called Google Location History
Google Location History is a stand-alone service. To access this service, you must be connected to your Google account.
Among the other parameters that must also be active:
- Having a Google account on your smartphone or tablet
- Enable GPS, 3G, WiFi and location features of your mobile device ,
- Enable location update on your device.
==Android versions that support Google Location History===
Location data is available on devices running Android 4.1 to 4.3
The location history data and location update features are available on devices running Android 4.0 or later
(Google Maps for mobile version 7.0).
- The interface consists of two tools: a calendar and a map. To access the history, select the desired period on the calendar .
- Several "slices" can be selected: 1 day, 2 days, 3 days , 5 days , 7 days, 14 days or 30 days. These slices can be customized on the calendar.
- The Google Maps offers the usual functions: visualization as map or satellite image, zoom in or out and scrolling across the map.
- Based on the selected time slice, the map is updated with dots indicating each of the recorded position.
- The distance is estimated based on the starting point .
- Under the map, Google Location History provides allows you to visualize your travels as a "timeline". Each point corresponds to a particular position and the time this position was recorded.
- Google Location History allows you to export data to Google KML. This is data that can be imported into Google Earth for example, to model geographical routes.
- Select the option "Export data to KML" below the calendar and select a desired time period.
The history of the positions can be deleted in two ways.
From the online app:
- From the interface, choose the "Delete history recorded for this period" or "Delete all history".
- You can also disable the Location history by going to the Settings menu. This option can be reactivated at any time since the application settings .
From your mobile via Google Settings:
- Devices with Android 4.3 or earlier : Position > Update Location
- Devices with Android 4.4: Position > Location Services > Update Google position > Update Location.