The community developed
Xubuntu is a Linux distribution
that is based on Ubuntu. Modifying the applications menu
on Xubuntu can be a little daunting as it does not have a Menu editor
.This process of modifying the applications menu
has to be done manually.
To make the changes, one has to go to edit text files
and search for files with the extension name of .desktop
. As it stands, only entries in the menu can be added. By renaming the file, one can also delete entries from the menu.
Modifying the menu
Unlike Ubuntu, Xubuntu does not have a menu editor. The only way to edit the menu is to edit the text files manually. To do this:
- Open a terminal (do not use the file manager: Thunar) and go to /usr/share/applications
- Type the command ls and you'll find lots of files with the extension .desktop
- Each file corresponds to an entry in the menu which you can then edit with mousepad
- For example: sudo mousepad gxine.desktop
- From there, you can:
- Add entries to the menus
- Change software category
Delete an entry from the menu
- Just rename the file .desktop
- For example, to remove the OpenOffice word processor from the menu, enter:
Published by jak58
Latest update on February 17, 2012 at 07:53 AM by Paul Berentzen.