Choosing a GPS - The technical specifications and criteria
The technical specifications
- The quality of the GPS signal (reception) is obviously paramount. Opt for a device using the SiRF Star III standard.
- The screen quality and graphics. You will need to check the following features: screen size, brightness, image quality and anti-glare effect. Choose a GPS that can be used in different situations (in broad daylight, at night...).Opt for a model with a customizable interface (night mode, adjust brightness/contrast level of the screen...)
- Sound and voice quality. This voice will accompany you during all your travels ...its better to have one you like. Some models allows you to download a voices from the internet (check the manufacturer's website).
- The GPS mounts or cradles. This may seem incidental, but there is nothing more annoying than a GPS that "falls" when exposed to vibrations.
Autonomy, power and connectivity. Most GPS come with a cigarette lighter connector for use in a car. If you intend to use the GPS out of your vehicle, opt for a model with a good battery autonomy.
- The quality of the information. Are the maps up-to-date ? Which area is being covered (country, Europe, worldwide)?
- The ability to update maps. Today, most brands offer the possibility to update the maps. Some services require a subscription or purchase.
- Radar and traffic info. Real time information about traffic are delivered using the RDS/TMC technology. Several options are available. RDS/TMC is either built in GPS or takes the form of an external antenna. Subscription to traffic information may be included (or not).
- Points of interest. This is information related to gas stations, hotels, restaurants,....
Usability and Navigation
- The ergonomics of the interface. Allows even a 6-7 years old child to map a route.
- Processor. In the event that you have not complied with the given instructions, modern GPS can re-calculate your route in real time. The calculation time will of course depend on the processor.
- Choosing a GPS - The technical specifications and criteria
- Excel - A macro copy to cell based on a specific criteria - How-To - Excel
- If cell contains (multiple text criteria) then return (corresponding text criteria) ✓ - Forum - Excel
- Macro to copy data from one sheet to another based on criteria ✓ - Forum - Excel
- How to search for a specific youtube channel - Guide
- Choose your diamonds free fire - Guide
This document, titled « Choosing a GPS - The technical specifications and criteria », is available under the Creative Commons license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM (ccm.net).