How to send Emoji on your Android tablet or smartphone
First you need to check if your smartphone or tablet can display emoji. A simple test:
- Go to the Wikipedia page for emoji, as shown in the screenshots below:
- If the emoji are not displayed by your browser, you will need to root your device or use messaging applications already integrating emoji (Whatsapp or Google Hangouts).
Does your device supports emoji?
Android 4.1 or higher:
- Go to Settings > About the device.
If you are using Android 4.1 or higher, the emoji are integrated by default. You can activate the emoji keyboard by going to Settings > Language and input
On the latest versions of Android the emoji keyboard is already activated (the name of the keyboard is not displayed in the "Language & input
For versions prior to 4.1:
- Open the "Messaging app".
- Write a new message.
- Tap on the Smiley key to display the emoji keyboard.
You can only use emoji through applications which natively integrates this feature.
Using key combinations to enter emoji
Using the Google keyboard
First you need to download and installt the Google Keyboard on your device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin
- Go to Settings > Language and input .
- Select the Android/Google keyboard and activate it.
- The Google keyboard allows you to send emoji using specific key combinations or keyword.
Installing the emoji dictionary
- Go to Settings > Language and input
- Select the Android/Google keyboard
- Click on the Settings button > Add-on Dictionaries
- Search for "Emoji for English Word" and install it.
- NB: refresh the list if the emoji dictionary is not listed.
This document, titled « How to send Emoji on your Android tablet or smartphone », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM