Freebox - How to configure the VPN server
A VPN (virtual private network) allows you to share files or play multiplayer games as if you were on the LAN. It connects two "physical" local networks using public networks such as the Internet.
In this article you will learn how to connect (remotely) to your local network using your Freebox.
NB: The VPN Server feature is only available as from version 2.1 of Freebox OS.
How to enable VPN server
To enable the VPN server of your Freebox:
- Open a web browser and connect to http://mafreebox.freebox.fr/
- Double-click "Freebox Settings - Paramètres de la Freebox " (cog icon),
- Click on the "Advanced Mode - Mode avancé".
- Double click on "VPN Server - Serveur VPN"
- Click on "PPTP".
- Finally, check the "Enable - Activer".
How to create a new remote user
In the same window (VPN Server -Serveur VPN):
- Click "Users- Utilisateurs"
- In the right pane, click on the "Add User - Ajouter un utilisateur".
- Set a login and a password for this new user.
- Click on the "Save - sauvegarder" button.
NB: Leave the Fixed IP option as it is.
Initiate a connection to your new workspace
- Go to "Control Panel" in "Network and Sharing Center".
- Click "Set up a new connection or a new network".
- Then select "Connect to your workspace".
- Click "Use my Internet connection (VPN)".
- Enter the address fixed IP address of the Freebox Server and specify the destination (remote user).
- Click "Next" and follow the onscreen procedure.
This document, titled « Freebox - How to configure the VPN server », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM