Windows - How to change the location of the Temporary folder
If you have two partitions or even better, two hard drives, you can easily change the location the "TEMP" folder!
Changing the location of the Temporary folder
As a first step, we should determine on which partition we are going to move the "TEMP" folder. Avoid choosing SSD partitions!
Create the TEMP folder
- Open the partition or drive
- Create a folder and name it as TEMP
In our example we are using:
Edit the "TEMP" and "TMP" variables
- It is advisable to create a restore point before going further.
- Open the Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings.
- Click on "Environment Variables":
- The window is divided into two section, namely "User Variables for XXX account" and the system variables.
- We will need to edit the "TMP" and "TEMP" for both sections.
- Select a variable > Edit.
- Change the Variable value field (default %SystemRoot%\TEMP) to G:\TEMP
- Save your settings and repeat the operation for the other variables.
- Restart the computer.
- Congratulations, you have successfully moved the TEMP folder!
Published by deri58
Latest update on March 11, 2015 at 06:27 PM by noctambule28.