offers an alternative to popup ads and banners. A far less intrusive way to advertise, while benefitting from a better click-through rate (CTR)
What are the levers of this new type of advertising campaign? What are advantages and limitations for an advertiser? How to set up a native advertising campaign?
Native advertising refers to a type of content generated by brands for advertising purposes (images, videos or texts integrated in the editorial of a website). The aim is to grasp the attention of users about the presence of advertising content, without interrupting their experience.
This type of advertising campaign can be specifically adapted to the support on which it will be showcased:
- Alternative to banner or pop-up ads considered as intrusive,
- Better integration with the layout of websites or social networks.
Since 2012, native ads campaigns has been on the rise in the United States. A study conducted by the American expert BIA/Kelsey, demonstrate that native advertising has generated an increase in revenue of 77%
(from $ 1.4 billion in 2012 to $2.4 billion in 2013). In 2014, the increase in revenues for advertisers hit $8.4 billion, thanks to native advertising and advertising on mobile platforms.
Source: BIA/ Kelsey, December 2013
This type of campaign is widely being used by Facebook and Twitter, through sponsored publications
in news feed of internet users. Other social media like LinkedIn and
Pinterest are also getting to it, as well as niche websites or blogs.
Native adversting takes advantage of the different type of media.The campaign can be made in the following formats:
- interactive games.
The content can be adapted for multiple type of devices (screen size), such as PC, tablets or smartphones.
The native advertising offers an alternative to classic advertising ,which no longer meets all of your expectations.
According to a survey by the IFOP
for Adyoulike in June 2013, Internet users are "exposed to an average of 70 ads
" for three hours spent on the internet.
Source:IFOP survey for Adyoulike, June 2013
In contrast, the native advertising won't interrupt the experience of the user, as it offers content based on the interests of the user.
Native advertising campaigns have better click through rate than traditional advertising campaigns. This is a significant advantage for an advertiser.
What are the challenges for the company?
- Address the user on media where he feels confident in respect to a given theme (high-tech, fashion ...).
- Addressing the user without interrupting his experience.
- Immersion into the world of the brand.
- Adpating the content to mobile devices (tablet or smartphone).
The negative effects of this new approach are still unknown!
Some points must still be respected by the advertiser:
Which media can accommodate your campaign:
- Notify the user that it is an advertising campaign or a sponsored publication.
- Respect the editorial line in order to avoid diffusing content deemed as inappropriate or intrusive
- Implement the right analysis tools to study the impact of the campaign and make the necessary adjustments if required (negative feedback from users).
- Social networks: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Instagram.
- Information websites: news sites.
- Blogs and specialized sites.
Define the objectives of the campaign:
- Advertise about brand or one of its products
- Selling a product or service.
Choose the type of content:
- Sponsored Content whose format fits in the editorial context of the website/platform on which it will be published.
- Sponsored Content whose publication is managed by the platform (e.g social networks).
The content can be disseminated in several forms: in-feed ads or sponsored links or posts, recommendations
: It is recommended to notify the users that the content is part of an advertising campaign:
- Use mentions, such as "sponsored by", "partnership", "proposed" ...
- Add brand name or logo,
- Highlight the content (special color or frame).
-Social networks - How to launch your advertising campaigns
-Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn: Sponsored publications and updates
Published by jak58
Latest update on March 24, 2015 at 08:06 AM by jak58.