The .flv video format is used by most of the popular online movie viewing websites. Video websites are strict on how you can download clips; there are specific free utilities to use to download .flv videos and to convert any desired format for viewing later. Convert a video clip of (almost) any format to .flv format in Windows. By using freely available multimedia software, easy conversion from .avi, mp4, mpg, mpeg and most other common formats is possible.
Conversion of the .flv to other formats other formats is dependent on the types of codec installed on your system. Conversion in Linux is done by FFmpeg and the Mencoder software that are installed on Debian. Independent of the operating system, you can also make conversions from.flv to any video format and vice versa.
If you are looking to convert video files to .flv format to publish them on the web, here are some tips on how to do this.
How to convert to and from the .flv format
On Windows, the conversion is done easily with the free software "Free FLV Converter", which you see below a screenshot:
The conversion to the .flv format is done easily from .avi, .divx, .mkv, .wmv, .mp4, .asf, .m1v, .mpg, .mpeg, .vob, formats.
You can also reverse the process and convert .flv files to one of these other formats.
Almost all options are modifiable, including encoding quality and video side (e.g. 320 x 240, 640 x 480).
The software "Free FLV Converter" is available on this link: Koyotesoft.
See also: SUPER
On Linux, the software FFmpeg and Mencoder can convert the .flv format to/from other formats. They also carry out operations such as resizing the video. These programs are run in the command line.
To install them on Debian and derivatives (Ubuntu, etc...): sudo aptitude install ffmpeg mencoder lame
- Convert FLV to AVI file: ffmpeg -i mavideo.flv mavideo.avi
- Convert AVI to FLV file: ffmpeg -i mavideo.avi mavideo.flv
- Convert WMV in MPEG-4 file (Xvid): mencoder mavideo.wmv -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -o mavideo.avi
Many options are available in ffmpeg and mencoder to choose codecs (MPEG1/2, DivX, Xvid, MP3, AAC, QuickTime, H.264, Matroska etc.) and configure them (compression ratio, modes, etc.).
To find out which codecs are supported by your version, type:
- ffmpeg -formats
- mencoder -ovc help
You can also performs these conversions online by following this link: Media convert
- Browse > Select the file
- Choose the input format (current format of the video)
- Choose the output format (format obtained at the end of conversion)
- Leave the default settings in all cases
- Select OK (to the right of "Output Format")
- Download your video to your computer once the conversion is complete
- How to convert a video clip in .flv format and vice versa
- How to convert digital video cassette to computer - How-To - Video
- VSO Downloader - Convert your video/audio to iOS compatible format - How-To - Software
- Convert Your Videos for Free Online - How-To - Video
- How to convert youtube video to usb - How-To - USB
- Convert youtube video to transcript - How-To - YouTube