I have a new Linksys WRT54gs router and a new Dell laptop.
The router works well with the cable attached but when I go to wireless,I get a strong signal but unable to get on the internet with WEP security.
With security disabled the wireless works fine. But will not connect to the internet with WEP security on. I tried to use the CD install disk that comes with the router but ir does not help.
- Just go to this link
- Select the model no.of your router and you will get step by step help to setup your router.
Note that you can also call http://www.linksysbycisco.com/support
for further information.
If this is a new router then connect it to your system through ethernet cable,open internet explorer and type 192.168.1.1 at the address bar it will prompt for a password.
- Leave the user tab blank and type admin in the password tab.
- Linksys setup page should open.
- Now click on the WIRELESS TAB and on the basic wireless settings change the defale SSID NAME to a name of your choice and also click on reset security and click on save settings.
- Reload the page and now go to wireless security tab and select WEP in the security tab.
- Now type a 10-character password in the KEY 1 field
- Click on SAVE SETTINGS and that's it.
- Now when you connect to your network you will have to enter your 10 char password on your DELL LAPTOP and it should work fine now.
- Call tech support or go to the above link for further assistance.
Thanks to: Shashank singh
for this tip.
Published by jak58
Latest update on October 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM by jak58.