Windows Vista - Removing the lock icon from the Start menu
Under Vista, it is sometimes happen that rather than trying to shut down your pc you lock it instead.
The (the little padlock) button and the ? arrow one, which opens the options for shutdown and hibernate are too close.
Note that:This option was removed from the Start menu of Windows 7.
So here is a solution to manually delete the start menu:
- Go to Run, type regedit console and click OK, and in the registry (don't forget to run as Adminstrator) follow this.
- Select System.
- Make a click in the RHS pane and then click New Value
(32-BIT or 64 BIT DWORG Value depending on your system).
- Rename the new key as:DisableLockWorkStation
- Then do a Right click the new key and Modify.
- Change the value to 1 and confirm using OK.
- Close regedit and restart your pc for the registration of new parameters.
- From there the lock option will be disabled.
- To put the lock on the Start menu, put the value 0 and remove the key.
- Windows Vista - Removing the lock icon from the Start menu
- Windows 8 remove password lock screen - How-To - Windows 8
- Icons in program start menu have change to internet explorer ✓ - Forum - Viruses/Security
- Windows 7 - Remove Java icon from system tray - How-To - Windows 7
- Locked out of windows vista ✓ - Forum - Windows XP
- How to access administrator account in windows vista without password - How-To - Windows Vista