can be connected via the internet on laptop / computers based on Windows 7. Firstly,a CAT5 or a CAT6 crossover cable
is a must because the normal Ethernet cable that is available with the gaming console
will be of no use and it has to be discarded. Two sources of network connection
are also required to complete the process of the connection set-up. It is through these two connections that internet will be routed to PS3 via the laptop / computer. A router
, rather than a PC, is a much better energy saving option for connecting a PS3.
I am looking for a way to connect my PS3 to my laptop running Windows 7. I would like to be able to allow the PS3 to use the computer's internet connection for gaming.
- 1. Get a CAT5 or CAT6 crossover cable
- The cable that came with the PS3 is a normal Ethernet cable and cannot be used for this operation.
- 2. Make sure you have two sources for network communication. For example, you can have 2 ethernet ports on your computer, or you can have a wireless card and a Ethernet port etc. It may help to draw out a connection blueprint such as this:
DSL Modem > CAT5 cable > Network Card 1 > Computer > Network Card 2 > CAT5 Crossover cable > PS3
You can buy a USB Ethernet adapter for the second network connection on the laptop.
- 3. Connect your computer to the modem and verify that you have an Internet connection. Then, click on Start, go to Settings, Control Panel. Double click on Network Connections, and identify the connection to your modem (Network card 1).
- 4. Right click on the modem connection, and choose Properties. Next, click on the advanced tab (Sharing tab for Vista users), and check the "Allow other users to connect" checkbox. Click on the "Home networking connection" drop down box and select the name of the second network connection. Click OK and exit the properties window.
- 5. Finally, connect the CAT5 crossover cable from the second network adapter of the computer to the PS3.
Your Internet connection should now be routed to your PS3. Please be aware that your computer must be on in order for your PS3 to stay online. In the long run, a router may be a much better device to use since it consumes far less energy than your computer.
Thanks to xpcman
for this tip on the forum.