Your WiFi signal at home sometimes does not work as well as we would like. This can be due to many reasons, from electromagnetic interference to objects that hinder the connection. To improve your WiFi signal, there are free applications that you can download to improve the signal quality. First, check out these tips.
Some Initial Tips to Improve Your WiFi Signal
Choose the Best Place for Your Router
The range of the Wi-Fi signal depends a lot on the position of your router at home. Therefore, we advise you to place the router in the center of your home to cover the widest possible range. Also, make sure that the router is away from metal structures (i.e. telephones and microwaves), since they operate on the same frequency (2.4 GHz):
If you can, move your router away from your neighbor's house as much as possible and make sure it is not using the same WiFi channel. Finally, check that the firmware of the router is updated so that it works as efficiently as possible.
Expand the Range of Your WiFi Signal with Repeaters or Another Antenna
WiFi repeaters allow you to amplify the signal and maximize the reach of your network. There are different models in the market, and they are not too expensive. On the other hand, if the antennas protrude you can move them so that they point to the place of the house that interests you. In the worst case, you can remove the included antenna and replace for a more powerful model, although not all router models allow for this:
If you have a smartphone, tablet, or a PC, you can install an application that allows you to verify the status and range of your WiFi network.
For smartphones and tablets:
* Network Analyzer : Helps you diagnose various problems in the configuration of the WiFi network and your internet connectivity. It is also capable of detecting various problems on remote servers. You can find it at iOS and Android
* Wifi Analyzer : for Android: With this app you can discover WiFi networks in your area and choose the least busy channel.
*Netgear Genie : An application available for iOS and it's Android, allows you to access the functions of the router with your mobile, being able to modify wireless settings, network map, parental controls, guest access, traffic measurement, etc.
*NETGEAR WiFi Analytics: Available for Android and offers you advanced analysis to improve your signal, including from your network status, the best channels, and other functions.
Finally, if you want to handle these questions on your desktop , WiFiCoverage will allow you to do it for free.
Image: © D-Link.
- Apps to Increase Your WiFi Signal
- App to increase touch sensitivity - How-To - Android
- How to allow apps to update without wifi - How-To - Android
- Red X appears beside wifi signal - I'm Stumped! ✓ - Forum - WiFi
- Getting wifi signal but can't access internet ✓ - Forum - WiFi
- Why is my wifi signal not showing on iphone ✓ - Forum - WiFi