The Ask Toolbar is a toolbar that installs negative with many programs (a little without your knowledge)
It can spy on your browsing and retrieve personal information, which is why it is considered spyware. You get infected when downloading and installing programs (including free). when you are prompted to install a toolbar from software partner. (This is also true for other harmful elements, other than toolbar)
Methods of eradication
Go to your Control Panel, add remove programs.
From the list, select Ask and click on "Remove"
Should the above fail, use one of the following disinfection tools.
- Download Ad-Remover (from C_XX) on the desktop.
- Close all running applications
- Double click the installer then install it in its default location (C: Program files)
- Under XP: Click on the shortcut to launch
- Under Vista: Right-click the shortcut created and click "Run as Administrator"
- At the main menu select "S" (Start scan)
- A report will appear after the scan.
is a disinfection tool known for its effectiveness. It can help to remove any files left behind following a scan with AdwCleaner or handle other types of infections.
- Download and install Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Begin the update (Click on the "Updates" tab and then "Search for updates").
- Launch a full scan.
- Once the scan is complete, click on "Show results".
- Select the detected items (some are not checked by default) and click "Remove Selected". If prompted to restart the PC, accept!
Avoid getting infected again
You should be careful when you are installing free programs, as many of them are bundled with PUPs.
- Before installing a program, read the EULA.
- Always download programs from official sources.
- On the other hand, if you use Avast! or AVG, remember to enable the detection of PUPs.
- WOT can help you to filter websites that distribute harmful programs http://ccm.net/faq/7386-wot-web-of-trust.