I am computer illiterate. Recently purchased notebook laptops for my 3 children. Also in the house there is another laptop, work computer, and home computer. We cannot all be connected at same time. Have to constantly reset router and then only half of them work. The home computer has message "there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.
Any suggestions how to fix this problem and in very basic step-by-step terminology?
This may happen that when you try to connect, the system notifies you of an IP address conflict or that the connection is not stable. This is probably due to the fact that more than one computer on the network is trying to get the same IP address. Indeed, most routers (from your ISP ?) are configured for DHCP, (assign IP address automatically). If for some reason you need a fixed IP address on a computer network, the DHCP may sometimes try to assign this IP to another computer, which poses a problem. Or you have set a fixed address on one of the computers that is in the same range as the ones that are automatically assigned. It's best to have all assigned by the router or if you must assign a fixed address then use one that is not in the range assigned by the router.
To solve this problem:
- Click Start/Control Panel/Network Connection on each of the computers
- Right click on the concerned connection [Properties]
- Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/ IP)" then properties
- If the "obtain an IP address automatically" is not checked then change it.
Do this on all the PC's and you should not have a problem. Unless the you got the router from your ISP and they have set some limit on the number of computers you can have connected.
Thanks to xpcman for this tip on the forum.
- IP address conflict using multiple computers
- PS3/PC IP address conflict ✓ - Forum - PS3/PS4
- How to connect two computers through internet using ip address ✓ - Forum - Network
- My phone ip address - How-To - Android
- Send message to ip address - How-To - Windows XP
- Ps3 can't obtain ip address - How-To - PS3