The task bar that generally appears at the bottom of the screen displays a number of icons, one of which is the volume icon
, typically resembling that of a speaker. It is a frustrating issue for the user if this icon that helps in manipulating and adjusting the sound of the system goes missing. This can be solved by following the proper steps.
The volume icon is missing from the taskbar.
- Open task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)
- In the Processes Tab, click to highlight "explorer.exe"
- Then click "End Process" (desktop icons disappear)
- Click on "File" > "New Task (Run)"
- In the Open box, type "start systray.exe"
- Click OK
- Again, click on "File" > "New Task (Run)"
- In the Open box, type "start explorer.exe"
- Click OK again
Everything should come back, including the Volume icon.
Volume control program - SndVol32.exe Missing
- Go into your Control Panel and open Folder Options
- Under the View tab uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" and click Apply/OK.
- Now go into Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and go to C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder and open it.
- Locate the sndvol32.exe file, right click it and choose Copy
- Next go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and open it
- In the right pane right click an empty area and choose Paste
Now you should have your volume icon back.
- Open the "Run" command (Win Key + R)
- Then type "regedit"
- In the new window that appears, go to the "Edit" tab, then click "Search"
- Look for "IconStreams" or "PastIconStreams" and click "next"
- Once located, delete the key(s)
- Restart your PC and it should be OK