To disable iCloud access on your device you will have to log out of the cloud, which means you will no longer be able to access your stored files. Therefore, if you are still interested in disabling the service, we recommend that you make a backup of your content beforehand. Any content you have stored on the cloud will not be completely lost once you don’t delete your account, you will still be able to access it again when you restart your session but it is worth having a copy just incase.
Logging out of iCloud on your iPhone or iPad
To disable iCloud access from your iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
1. Go to the Settings
menu and click on your name.
2. The Apple ID screen will open, scroll down, and select Sign out
3. Enter your password and confirm Disable
4. You can then select the files and information you would like to save on your device and confirm that you are logged out.
5. Select Sign out
one last time to confirm deactivation.
Logging out of iCloud on your Mac
To disable iCloud access from your Mac, follow these steps:
1. Go to the Start
menu on the block.
2. Select System Preferences
3. Click Apple ID
4. In the new screen, a side menu appears on the left, look for the Summary
option (in more updated systems it probably has this second nomenclature). Click on it.
5. Select Logout
6. You will be given the option to select the files you want to save on your Mac, mark them and then confirm by clicking Keep a copy
7. If you want to save specific information, such as Safari passwords, select Save to this Mac
8. Confirm that you're logged out.
If you have an Apple Watch, it’s automatically synced to your iPhone. So take note that if you turn iCloud off on your phone, it will close on your watch too.
To disable iCloud on Apple TV:
Go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud > Sign Out
What Effects Will Turning Off iCloud Have?
If you sign out of your iCloud account on your iPhone, you won't be able to sync your smartphone with other Apple add-ons. In addition, iCloud on your phone allows you to enable "Find My iPhone" and also to set up FaceTime and iMessenger
so these too will also be de-activated. However, you can reactivate these last two messaging and calling services with your phone number.
On the Mac, the first thing that will happen is that your information will no longer be automatically recorded
, but you will still be able to use the other services normally. Some services, such as the App Store, require you to sign-in with your Apple ID, which are your iCloud credentials for downloads
. Other apps such as FaceTime, can be used with the phone number you have on your iPhone.
However as we mentioned earlier, be sure to review the information you want to save on your device before you sign out
, such as passwords and usernames.
Image: © Apple