It is progressively becoming easier to set up a connected home thanks to the numerous smart gadgets that have come to the market over recent years. These devices allow you to incorporate futuristic functionality into your home, such as controlling the lighting, your kitchen appliances, home security and cleaning devices, all from your smartphone. The possibilities are endless if you also have a virtual assistant (for example, Alexa, Cortana and Siri), although not necessary to enjoy a smart home. With Black Friday fast approaching on November 27th, it is the ideal time to start making a list of items you want to buy, and take advantage of any offers. Here is our selection of the best connected gadgets for a smart home .
Kobold VR300 Robot Vacuum by Vorwerk
What if you could clean your house whenever you wanted without being even there, just by using your smartphone? This is what the Kobold VR300 Robot Vacuum by [Vorwerk is able to offer. You can expect an exceptional level of cleaning on all types of floor and carpet with the VR300 giving you an impressive amount of autonomy and comfort. All of this is controllable from your mobile device with their app for Android or iOS.
- It is the first robotic vacuum cleaner on the market with a “D” design , allowing it to reach corners and achieve greater cleaning precision.
- It is equipped with a latest generation motor and high performance brushes to remove fine particles.
- Detects stairs and edges and avoids contact with mirrors, glass and other objects as it has the most navigation sensors in its category.
- With a single charge, and an autonomy of 90 minutes, it can clean an area of 120m2 . Its intelligent navigation system and automatic recharging - where the vacuum automatically goes back to the charging dock before the battery runs out - allow the vacuum to resume cleaning as quickly as possible.
- It has a re-usable, washable filter allowing you to empty the tank in a hygienic way.
By connecting the robot vacuum cleaner via Wi-Fi connection, you can control it from the MyKobold app and have quick access to its </bold> remote control, the creation of cleaning maps, defining virtual boundaries, scheduling cleaning schedules, and receiving notifications sent by the smart vacuum cleaner. Finally, in the app you will find instructions, tutorials, tips for use and care and direct contact with customer service.
The latest model of the Kobold VR300 Robot vacuum stands out for its design, precision, level of customization and ultimately its ease of use from anywhere thanks to its mobile app. You can find it at the Vorwerk website for £849 (around $999).
Kasa Smart Plug by TP-Link
Would you like to wake up and have your coffee already prepared? Have you been out of the house and can’t remember if you left any devices on? It would be great if you were able to check and turn them off remotely if necessary, right? All of this is possible with the Kasa Smart Plugs (HS100) by TP-Link that connect to your home Wi-Fi network.
- Thanks to the free Kasa Smart app, available for Android and iOS, you have remote access to your internet-connected smart plugs to control your devices and electrical appliances plugged in anywhere from your cell phone.
- Schedule each plug to turn power on or off. This can be quite useful for example if you want your lights to come on at dusk. By controlling the hours that certain appliances at home are on, you can save energy monthly, which should then be reflected in your electricity bill.
- One of the main advantages of these devices is their away from home mode which allows you to remotely configure which lights and devices to turn on or off. This is a great feature that can make it seem like you are at home, for example when you are on vacation, as a deterrent to thieves.
- It is compatible with the virtual assistants Alexa or Google Assistant, with which you can use voice commands and you have even more possibilities of use.
- If you are in bed and you forgot to turn off the lights, you can do it with a tap on your smartphone .
These smart plugs have a modern, elegant and simple design and can be easily used to activate lighting, air conditioning or heating systems. Find them on Amazon at $10 per unit.
Honeywell T6 Smart Programmable Thermostat
We understand that heating costs can be quite high during the winter months, almost to the point where you are scared to see the bill at the end of the month. To reduce your energy consumption, the Honeywell T6 Smart Programmable Thermostat offers an innovative thermostat that adapts to your lifestyle and helps save money.
- By connecting to your home Wi-Fi network, you can access it from your mobile, tablet or computer using the Honeywell Home app , for iOS and Android.
- Its customization and programming options give you the comfort of having the perfect temperature at the desired time, regardless of the outside temperature.
- The Honeywell Home app uses the location of your cell phone to know if you are at home or not and, based on this, control the temperature. While you are away, the T6 thermostat saves energy and modifies it as you get closer, since the gadget knows how long it takes to reach the desired temperature .
- Unlike traditional thermostats, it is possible to set a 7-day schedule for the T6 which you can change remotely depending on your plans.
- You can use it through voice commands, thanks to its compatibility with Apple HomeKit, Apple Watch, Amazon Echo, Google Home and IFTTT .
Find this incredible gadget for your smart home on Amazon for $115.
Fitbit Aria 2 Smart Scale
Fitbit is one of the most popular fitness brands, and its Wi-Fi scale is one of their highlights. Whether you have a paired Fitbit smartwatch or not, its configuration is quick and easy, either via Bluetooth or a Wi-Fi connection with your smartphone.
- This smart scale helps you keep track of various parameters related to your health : total weight, body mass index (BMI), body fat percentage and lean mass.
- Includes a program that wirelessly and automatically synchronizes your statistics and progress on computers and smartphones that connect to the smart scale via Wi-Fi and converts your data into easy-to-read graphs.
- In the Fitbit app you can find a history to see your evolution over time and set goals. It is available for iOS, Android, and Windows.
- The Fitbit Aria 2 allows you to create and manage 8 profiles, each with their own private account and corresponding data. So each person at home can take advantage of this gadget.
- If you don't want someone to see your measurements, you can activate the data privacy feature and prevent others from seeing your numbers.
- It is compatible with the Fitbit tracker, wristbands and watches, as well as with Android, iOS and Windows devices.
The Fitbit Aria 2 Smart Scale is priced at $128.95 on Amazon.
Xiaomi Yeelight 1SE Smart Bulbs
Do you want to innovate the mood lighting in your house or apartment? You no longer have to change bulbs to change the mood. The Wi-Fi controlled Xiaomi Yeelight 1SE and RGB smart bulbs allow you to blend 16 million colors to create whatever lighting you want. You can control the lighting in a room through Wi-Fi from your Android or iOS mobile using the Yeelight app.
- Adjust the color temperature and brightness. You can switch from cool, high-brightness white to work to warm, low-brightness light to create a calm and relaxing atmosphere.
- Offers synchronization of lighting and its color with the music, by detecting the rhythm changes around. It is ideal for parties with friends.
- Voice control to turn the lights on and off is possible thanks to its compatibility with virtual assistants such as Siri, Alexa, the Google assistant and Homekit. Also, it syncs with IFTTT and Samsung SmartThings services.
- It has a power of 6W and consumes less energy than normal incandescent bulbs.
- If you like to sleep with a little light beside your bed or in the corridor, the moonlight function is ideal for a peaceful sleep.
- It's easy to install and you don't need a smart hub.
Find the Yeelight 1SE bulb for $17.66 on Amazon.
If you are already integrated into the Apple ecosystem (iPhone, iPad, iMac etc), then Apple's HomePod and new HomePod Mini that they revealed at their October 2020 event will make excellent additions to your household. They are priced at $299 and $99 respectively and are available from the Apple website. The HomePod is a high-fidelity audio system. You can control your smart home via voice, use the built in Siri functionality, send messages to other rooms in your house, among other features.
See our other buying guides here, such as this guide to the Best Wireless Chargers.
Photo: © 123RF.com