NX is an efficient and secure method to remotely access a machine running X-Windows. There exist different types of NX server:
- NX Server and 2X for commercial purpose
- FreeNX which is a freeware.
In this tip you will learn how to install FreeNX :
Instruction for installation
- Add the following repository: deb http://www.datakeylive.com/ubuntu gutsy main
- Add the authorized users for connecting under server NX:
- Then modify the /etc/nxserver/node.conf file:
- Replace: #ENABLE_3_0_0_BACKEND="0" by ENABLE_3_0_0_BACKEND="1"
- Replace: #DISPLAY_BASE=1000 by DISPLAY_BASE=1001
- Replace: #AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X="" by AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X="-fp/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
- You can now use any the NX 3.0 client.
(Tested with FreeNX 0.7.1-0 under Ubuntu 7.10 and NX 3.1.0-3 under Windows.)
- FreeNX 0.6.x servers are not compatible with NX 3.x clients.
If the SSH server is on port 22
- Edit the node.cfg: sudo gedit /etc/nxserver/node.conf file.
- Scroll to the line :
- Enter the port number of your choice
- You can use free NX client from NoMachine:
- Nomachine is free and unlimited for OS like Windows, Linux, MacOSX and Solaris.