The "Download" section regroups all types of software. Depending on your access rights on CCM, you can give a review, add or update software.
For the members and contributors of CCM
- Ordinary members can:
- Giving their opinion on software.(comments)
- Submit a software (Just follow the procedure below), but this software will be posted after verification and approval.
- Contributors can also:
- Add software.
- Modify/update the software review (new information, a new version)
This tip explains how to perform these tasks
Adding a software
- Before you add a software:
- Please verify that it is not already present.
- The licesence type accepted are:
- Open Source
- Check the reputation of the official website thanks to WOT or MacAfee site advisor..
- Analyze setup with Virus Total.
- After verifying the legitimacy of the program:
- Click on the "Download"
- Click on "Add Software" (top right of page)
- Fill out the information on the software as below:
- Software name: the name that will be displayed in the download section
- Software name 2: It's an alternate name of the software
- Version: the current version of the software
- Editor/author: the name of the software (person or business company)
- Category: Software category
- Download URL: valid link to download the software.
- You can test the link by clicking on [Test](If the link is good, you have the size and type of file)
- Official URL? : Checking this box lets you choose the default download URL (the URL you entered or the CCM server)
- Executable File Name: The softeare will be stored as such on the CCM server.
- Editor Website: Web site address of the editor (preferably the home page)
- Logo URL: The image that will be displayed in the description of the software.
- Alternative spelling: if the name of the software can be written or pronounced several ways, separated by commas.
- Keywords: these are words used to reference the software in search engines. Choose words that accurately describe the function(s) and features of the software.
- Version URL: web address that contains the version of the software (just browse the official site to find this address).
- RegExp and URL for version are essential for updating the software on CCM.
- Language: Depends on the language pack available for Software (English, French ,Italian..etc)
- License: Is it an open source, free, a demo version or proprietary software?
- Platform: The compatible Operating System? Use the CTRL key to select multiple systems.
- Description: Some information abaout the software features, specifications and features. You can use the tags Bold, Italic and Stresses.
- You can add some screenshots if you want to:
- You can make some screenshots of the software interface, highlight the important options and upload it on any of the free Online Media website http://imageshack.us/.
- Then in the description text area simply click on the small Add picture icon.
- In the URL de L'image section: paste the url of image..hosted on imageshack.us (it should bear this format http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8445/offpage.jpg).
- The same principle applies, when adding the logo
- After completion of all these task simply click on the Submit button and your software will be uploaded.
Example choice of RegExp
Note: This part may not be very obvious to everyone, but it is necessary to ensure that updates are notified to the team of contributors.
- On this page, it says "The latest release of Audacity 1.3.7 IS (Beta)", which indicate the latest version.
- Now view the source code of the page:
- In Firefox: Menu View> Page Source
- In Internet Explorer: Menu Page> View Source
- Use the search function (Edit menu> Find) to search this string:
- Now, use the features of the RegExp to specify the search in the source code of the URL of the version.
Is used to capture the version number. This number may contain digits and the dot (.).
is used to capture the version if it contains alphabetic characters (eg beta).
lets say "all characters are allowed here"
- In our example, the RegExp is the following:
#The latest release of Audacity is.*?([.0-9]+ [a-z]+)</a>. Because#s
- The # #s is mandantory.
- The latest release of Audacity is.*? and </a>. Because. are delimiting the part where the release is sought
characters are captured
- By clicking the [Test] button, you should have the latest software:
- A result inconsistent with the version you have entered in the version field generates an alert to contributors
- If you have this:
- this means that no results were found. Recheck RegExp
- If you get a table (array) with multiple results, then you need to further refine the search.
You can also perform a manual update for any of the software present in the download section.
- Open the targeted software page, in our example we will make an update for DiskDigger.
- The version available on CCM is 0.8.3.
- The actual latest version available is 220.127.116.111
- Click on the Edit button.
- Change the:
- Release number
- Download URL
- Executable File Name
- Platform-Operating system (if new ones are supported by the latest version of the software).
- License type (if needed)
- In the text area, you can add the new features available and the date for the modification made.
- Last update made on : 09/21/2010
Click on the submit button and your'e done!
Published by jak58
Latest update on June 22, 2015 at 03:25 AM by Jeff.