The "Download" section regroups all types of software. Depending on your access rights on CCM, you can give a review, add or update software.
For the members and contributors of CCM
- Ordinary members can:
- Giving their opinion on software.(comments)
- Submit a software (Just follow the procedure below), but this software will be posted after verification and approval.
- Contributors can also:
- Add software.
- Modify/update the software review (new information, a new version)
This tip explains how to perform these tasks
Adding a software
- Before you add a software:
- Please verify that it is not already present.
- The licesence type accepted are:
- Open Source
- Check the reputation of the official website thanks to WOT or MacAfee site advisor..
- Analyze setup with Virus Total.
- After verifying the legitimacy of the program:
- Click on the "Download"
- Click on "Add Software" (top right of page)
- Fill out the information on the software as below:
- Software name: the name that will be displayed in the download section
- Software name 2: It's an alternate name of the software
- Version: the current version of the software
- Editor/author: the name of the software (person or business company)
- Category: Software category
- Download URL: valid link to download the software.
- You can test the link by clicking on [Test](If the link is good, you have the size and type of file)
- Official URL? : Checking this box lets you choose the default download URL (the URL you entered or the CCM server)
- Executable File Name: The softeare will be stored as such on the CCM server.
- Editor Website: Web site address of the editor (preferably the home page)
- Logo URL: The image that will be displayed in the description of the software.
- Alternative spelling: if the name of the software can be written or pronounced several ways, separated by commas.
- Keywords: these are words used to reference the software in search engines. Choose words that accurately describe the function(s) and features of the software.
- Version URL: web address that contains the version of the software (just browse the official site to find this address).
- RegExp and URL for version are essential for updating the software on CCM.
- Language: Depends on the language pack available for Software (English, French ,Italian..etc)
- License: Is it an open source, free, a demo version or proprietary software?
- Platform: The compatible Operating System? Use the CTRL key to select multiple systems.
- Description: Some information abaout the software features, specifications and features. You can use the tags Bold, Italic and Stresses.
- You can add some screenshots if you want to:
- You can make some screenshots of the software interface, highlight the important options and upload it on any of the free Online Media website https://imageshack.com/.
- Then in the description text area simply click on the small Add picture icon.
- In the URL de L'image section: paste the url of image..hosted on imageshack.us (it should bear this format http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8445/offpage.jpg).
- The same principle applies, when adding the logo
- After completion of all these task simply click on the Submit button and your software will be uploaded.
Example choice of RegExp
Note: This part may not be very obvious to everyone, but it is necessary to ensure that updates are notified to the team of contributors.
- Take the example of Audacity.
- The URL of the version is as follows: https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/
- On this page, it says "The latest release of Audacity 1.3.7 IS (Beta)", which indicate the latest version.
- Now view the source code of the page:
- In Firefox: Menu View> Page Source
- In Internet Explorer: Menu Page> View Source
- Use the search function (Edit menu> Find) to search this string:
The latest release of Audacity is
- Now, use the features of the RegExp to specify the search in the source code of the URL of the version.
([.0-9]+) Is used to capture the version number. This number may contain digits and the dot (.).
([.0-9]+ [a-z]+) is used to capture the version if it contains alphabetic characters (eg beta).
.*? lets say "all characters are allowed here"
- In our example, the RegExp is the following:
#The latest release of Audacity is.*?([.0-9]+ [a-z]+)</a>. Because#s
- The # #s is mandantory.
- The latest release of Audacity is.*? and </a>. Because. are delimiting the part where the release is sought
[.0-9] [A-z] characters are captured
- By clicking the [Test] button, you should have the latest software:
- A result inconsistent with the version you have entered in the version field generates an alert to contributors
- If you have this:
- this means that no results were found. Recheck RegExp
- If you get a table (array) with multiple results, then you need to further refine the search.
You can also perform a manual update for any of the software present in the download section.
- Open the targeted software page, in our example we will make an update for DiskDigger.
- The version available on CCM is 0.8.3.
- The actual latest version available is 22.214.171.1241
- Click on the Edit button.
- Change the:
- Release number
- Download URL
- Executable File Name
- Platform-Operating system (if new ones are supported by the latest version of the software).
- License type (if needed)
- In the text area, you can add the new features available and the date for the modification made.
- Last update made on : 09/21/2010
Click on the submit button and your'e done!
- CCM - Add/Update a software in the download section
- Playstation®3 system software update 4.87 won't download - How-To - PS3
- Xvideoservicethief ubuntu software open source download 64 bit ✓ - Forum - System software
- I cannot get sound in ubuntu 8.04 ✓ - Forum - Linux/Unix
- Blackberry 9800 software 7.1 download - Forum - BlackBerry
- Ubuntu softwares ✓ - Forum - Software