Despite the fact that both "Spelling and Grammar" Checker are proposed in Writer, the OpenOffice.org suite (OOo) comes only a spell checker (nothing is intended to check out the Grammatical errors).
Fortunately, solutions exist.
- LanguageTool is an extension of Open Office, it is a free utility, which can check grammar and spelling.
- Go to the official website: http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/languagetool
- Click on Get It! to download the LanguageTool-1.0.0.oxt extension:
- Run Writer.
- Go to Tools/Extension Manager ...
- Click the Add button:
- Select the downloaded file.
- Click the Open button.
- Enable the extension all computer users
- LanguageTool will be installed in your extensions.
- You can take the opportunity to remove all dictionaries installed by default(those which are of no use to you).
- Click on Check for updates ... to update the remaining extensions:
- For security,reboot after installing this extension.
- To start the correction, go to Tools / Spelling and Grammar (F7) ...
- The proposals of grammatical errors highlighted in blue, unlike spelling corrections that will be highlighted in red:
This utility is far from being failproof, but it however allows you to perform some basic adjustments.
There are sites such as http://bonpatron.com/
allowing a correction of a text with a simple Copy/Paste.
Major drawback: the non-confidentiality of your data, when using the free services.
There are efficient software that work seamlessly with OOo.
Learn more:Spell Checkers and proofreading.
Published by jak58
Latest update on June 23, 2010 at 08:54 AM by jak58.