Folders/drives won't open, search window shows
I suspect you have a virus problem. The first thing that you'll need to do is fix the double click problem. This might help
When a virus infects a windows system, which causes an issue when opening the drive, it automatically creates a file named autorun.inf in the root directory of each drive.
- This autorun.inf file is a read-only, hidden and a system file. The folder option is also disabled by the virus. The virus purposely does this in order to protect itself. autorun.inf starts all the activities that the virus performs when you try to open any drive.
- You simply need to delete this file and restart your system to correct this problem.
To show and delete the autorun.inf, open Start>>Run and type cmd and press enter. This will open a command prompt window. On this command prompt window type the following steps.
- type cd\
- type attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf
- type del autorun.inf
if you have a d drive:
Now, type d: and press enter. Then, repeat steps 3 and 4. Then, repeat step 5 for all your hard disk partition.
Restart your system and your immediate troubles will be fixed. You will need to run a virus scan to find the program that started this.
Solved by xpcman
- Folders/drives won't open, search window shows
- When I click C drive It opens a search window ✓ - Forum - Hardware
- Folders/drives wont open, search window shows ✓ - Forum - Windows
- Dvd drive won't read discs windows 7 ✓ - Forum - Windows 7
- Stop google drive from opening on startup windows 10 - How-To - Google
- How to unlock folder lock if password forgotten in windows 10 ✓ - Forum - System software