Network cable unplugged but isn't

Solved/Closed
Kerri - May 27, 2009 at 05:10 PM
Fartymarty Posts 1 Registration date Saturday July 27, 2019 Status Member Last seen July 27, 2019 - Jul 27, 2019 at 07:58 PM
Hello,
I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but no matter how many times I unplug and replug my network cable, my broadband router still registers that it's not connected. I've tried resetting the router, reinstalling both the broadband and the atheros wireless card on my laptop(but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that...), and, as said, replugging it. I'm kind of at a loss; I'm pretty computer savvy but can't really figure this out. My dad said he's going to rewire it to see if that works, but if it doesn't, does that just mean we need to get a new one?

Please help.
Related:

7 responses

• Media State Disconnected
  • Ethernet Cable unplugged

I have had the same problem and spent days scouring Google and trying any suggestion that I could find. Last night I found a post from 2002. It seemed ridiculous but I gave it a shot. PROBLEM SOLVED.
  • 1.) Shut dowm your PC.
  • 2.) Unplug the power cord.
  • 3.) If you have a laptop, remove the battery as well.
  • 4.) Walk away from the problem for at least 30 minutes.
  • 5.) When you return, reconnect battery and power cord.
  • 5.) Start as usual.
  • 6.) If this solves the problem, take 20 minutes and post this to all of those message boards that you didn't find the solution to.

This fix appears to work for any OS/MOBO/NIC.

What causes it? I don't know.

Have a great day! :)
You are so right on! I have an XP SP2. Last eve there was a severe thunderstorm. This am I saw this strange icon on the lower right of the taskbar, with an "x," saying that a network cable was unplugged. I called AT&T, back and forth, as the Versalink was lighting up and my lap was working, but no workgroup connection. They offered to replace the modem/router with a new one. I later went out and bought a new CAT5, hoping that is was only the pins. Still failed to cure. Was ready to buy a new NIC and disable the one built into my motherboard (SIS 630/730, trouble-free for the past 6 years). Read your comments first and said "What the hell," and followed your advice.

IT WORKED!!!!!!

I don't understand it, but IT WORKED!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing!
it worked for me!!! thank u sooo much :)