Windows XP reboot loop: Help!

Solved/Closed
ttotheizzay - Updated on Nov 28, 2018 at 02:17 PM
 jpp - Mar 29, 2019 at 05:21 AM
my computer is stuck in a reboot loop. I have an intel pentium 4 desktop computer. it is windows xp home edition. the problem happened after I installed the windows service package 2 (i know, im a little behind). it seemed to install the update fine but after I restarted my computer I couldnt seem to get to my desktop. the computer manages to get to the light blue windows xp loading screen but instead of entering my desktop the computer reboots and the whole process starts over again. after reading other forums, I tried the F8 method but couldnt seem to make it work. last known configuration and safe mode dont seem to work but I may have not done them correctly; im no computer whiz. but after pressing the "disable automatic restart on system failure" option, I got this error message on the "blue screen of death" (this happened after the light blue xp loading screen instead of it restarting like it usually does):
STOP: c000021a Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error

what should I do? I dont want to have to reinstall windows xp and lose my data as I have some important documents and music mp3s on it. ive read about possibly doing a repair install? how does that work, would it work, and would it save my data? is there another option? thanks in advance.
System Configuration: Windows XP
Firefox 2.0.0.14
Related:

19 responses

it has to do with your registry after installing sp3,i had it and fixed it myself,below is what I did after going on in safe mode. HOW TO STOP ENDLESS LOOP REBOOT FROM SP3 1.) First, boot into Safe Mode. After a reboot or two, you'll probably be given that option, but if not, just tap the F8 key a few times once you see the Windows logo pop up on your screen. 2.) Once you're in Safe Mode, go to Start, Run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes). 3.) That will launch the Registry Editor. Next, you'll need to navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm4.) Once you're there, look in the right hand side pane for an entry that says Start. Right click it and select Modify.5.) In the Value Data box, replace the 1 with a 4. Hit OK to exit the Registry Editor and then reboot your computer.
Dude, you are a freaking genius! Figured I would give this even though my gut told me it was too simple to actually work. This TOTALLY fixed the reboot loop problem for me!

FYI, the issue also started after applying SP3 for XP. Uninstalled SP3 and the issue went away (obvioussly did that from safe mode), reinstalled SP3, problem came back.

Once again, you are the man!
Which method did you use. My way is the way the usually works always.