No signal to monitor

Closed
rustfarmer Posts 9 Registration date Wednesday February 21, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 5, 2018 - Feb 21, 2018 at 04:12 PM
 Blocked Profile - Mar 6, 2018 at 04:35 PM
Hello, I have a home built desktop unit that is running windows 10 and was working fine until I rearranged my desk (unit powered off at the time). Upon plugging everything back up, I get no signal to monitor. I have tried the usual fixes :ie plug out power drain; removed battery; swapped jumper; removed and swapped memory. My system button turns on all fans and sounds as if something clicks a few times, but no keyboard light, no mouse light (optical) no signal to either of two different types of monitors. I do have a graphics card, but have tried with it uninstalled and using built in plug with no difference. Tried booting with no memory, one stick or two. Thoughts? Thanks.

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Feb 21, 2018 at 04:16 PM
Wow, all of that for moving the PC? Did you plug the monitor back into the wall/ It is ussually simple things. Always check simple stuff first. Now, when you removing hardware and such, did you use an ESD strap? If not, now we have multiple causes possibly for why it doesn't work.

When you press the montitor On Screen Menu Display button, does it dislay a menu asking for things like brightness, alignment, and such? If not, then the monitor doesn't work, and you might have destroyed the PC trying to troubleshoot it......
rustfarmer Posts 9 Registration date Wednesday February 21, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 5, 2018
Feb 21, 2018 at 06:32 PM
I have tried a different monitor/cable using the the other plug. Same result. As for ESD strap, rainy day and no static much plus I always grab the chassis first, so don't think that's it. Yeah, just cleaning up my desk space, and now the big unit with all the major storage (photos, music, old files) is down. Can't really tell if the hard drives are spinning, so I'm thinking PSU, but not sure if it's OK to pull the big connector to check voltages, or if I must back probe the thing.
Well, as for all of the content on the drive, don't sweat that, just don't re-install anything!
If you have another machine, pull the drive, and put into into parallel with the host drive. Then you will be able to get the files you want.

You never answered if the OSD or menu was working.....

Then worry about the hardware. It can be done!

rustfarmer Posts 9 Registration date Wednesday February 21, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 5, 2018
Feb 22, 2018 at 09:04 AM
About the OSD, I thought that by trying a different monitor and cable I had eliminated all possible issues with the monitor. I guess it's time to check PSU voltages. Is it safe to unplug the PSU from the MB to test, or must I back probe the plug while still connected?
Blocked Profile
Feb 22, 2018 at 04:51 PM
The OSD is a button on the monitor. Either it displays things like brightness, or its no good. I can disco my display cable, and still get an OSD!

Look, unless you have schematics with voltages and points, it does not good to start trying troubleshoot to the component level.
Feb 22, 2018 at 05:18 PM
My power supply has chart on the side with pin out and voltage for each pin.
But do you know where the voltage should be on the BOARD? In order to troubleshoot, you must know what is going in and what is expected at test point. I have never seen a PSU deliver Half of what it should be, It either produces the power, or it doesn't, and it fails! PSU are like 15$. Don't waste your time!
Blocked Profile
Feb 22, 2018 at 06:04 PM
If all you did was move the PC, then you need to look at the PINS on the monitor cable. I am certain ONE is bent, and it still will go into the slot, just not be in the connector. CHECK THAT.. That is VEWY COMMON to moving PC;s and no displays!