-
Registration date
Saturday April 4, 2020
Status
Last seen
April 4, 2020
-
Hello,

I have an HP G7 laptop which has a dead battery. The laptop stopped booting which, when I checked with a local computer repair shop was due to the internal system reporting the laptop going to sleep with not enough power in the battery to restart. When I removed the battery and powered up on mains power alone it worked a charm... for a while.

Now replaced the battery and when I power up the power light comes on, the fan spins and the CD drive activates but the system does not start to load and the screen stays black. No sign of the Hard disc dirve being accessed. Any thoughts from the collective experts?

Any advice/tips/solutions welcome,

Thanks in advance,

Steve

5 replies

Registration date
Monday November 25, 2019
Status
Administrator
Last seen
October 23, 2020
Can you open it up and remove the RAM? To try and establish if it is a motherboard issue.

I was reading some info here that might help as well.

Also, feel free to have a look at some of the related forum questions, as unfortunately you're not the first person to have this type of issue.

Registration date
Monday November 25, 2019
Status
Administrator
Last seen
October 23, 2020
Hello, a solution that works for most people in this situation:
  • Remove battery, remove plug and hit the power button for 30 seconds.
  • Then put back the battery and start your computer
  • Once you see something on the screen , plug the cord.

Regards
Registration date
Monday March 30, 2020
Status
Last seen
March 30, 2020
Hi David,

Tried that - laptop still spins the fan, activates the CD drive but doesn't seem to engage the hard drive to boot up windows. I've tried it with battery only (showing as fully charged), power cable only and with both. Pressed power button with both removed each time for over 60 seconds before re-trying.

Hmmm, irkesome...
Registration date
Monday March 30, 2020
Status
Last seen
March 30, 2020
Thanks David, I will indeed keep you informed... It may be some time though as we are in lockdown for at least another 2 weeks...

Hey ho.

Thanks.
Registration date
Monday March 30, 2020
Status
Last seen
March 30, 2020
Taking the RAM out is beyond my skillset I'm afraid, but I have a PC repair store locally who can check it for me after we are released from captivity regarding the Coronavirus...

Hoping for an easy fix to use the laptop as a spare for my young lad for school, but time isn't an issue...

Really appreciate the help and advice though..

Steve
Registration date
Monday November 25, 2019
Status
Administrator
Last seen
October 23, 2020
If you have some free time on your hands during the quarantine and want to learn how to remove your RAM (its not actually too difficult, you just need to be careful!), HP has a guide on their support page that should be relevant to your HP G7.

Understandably it is difficult to troubleshoot a laptop when you're not hands on with it... I think it could be a motherboard issue (based on previous solutions)... but I can't guarantee that.

Hopefully your local PC store will be able to get it running for you.

Please feel free to keep me informed on how the repair goes!

Regards

David
Registration date
Saturday April 4, 2020
Status
Last seen
April 4, 2020

Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and SD media cards. Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds to drain all residual power and restore default startup settings.

https://www.upsers.club/