No Sound, no audio device, and unknowns

Solved/Closed
Hubie Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 6, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 7, 2008 - Aug 7, 2008 at 02:28 AM
 HizkiaN - Feb 11, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Hello, I own a HP 7915. I recently crashed the system and had to do a system recovery. Afterwards I lost sound. I have seen simialr threads but none of them worked and there is a difference tro my problem that I have not been able to find an answer yet.

I went to sounds and devices and under volume it says No Audio Device.

Under the audio tab in sound playback it says under default device No Playback Device and voice playback it says under default device No Playback Device.

HP says my factory sound hardware is suppose to be Realtek Audio Codec or Creative Audigy, but when I go to the hardware tab it's not in there. There's a list of other devices and underneath it all there are two that says Unknown. I went to properties ansd it says

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

I hit the reinstall driver through windows update and it searches and never finds it.

I don't get it. Why aren't the Realtek or Creative in my hardware, what are those unknowns and what should I do with them, and most important I want to get my sound back.

26 responses

I have been having this very problem and have been having no luck until a few minutes ago.
I noticed that there was a problem with ->There are no active mixer devices available
error in Windows XP <- There are no active mixer devices available when opening volume control, I went here and found the problem and solution.

Although the sound card and its drivers are installed correctly. I receive this error message about no active mixer devices when I try to double-click on the Volume icon in the system tray
of Windows XP.

Most people will assume the sound card itself is having difficulty or the drivers have no been installed, or maybe the system has been muted. However, when the computer
starts or shuts down you hear the normal Windows sounds. However other audio does not play normally and results in error messages.

Troubleshooting the Error

When I checked the Sound and Audio Devices section of the Control Panel in Windows XP, it shows there are no audio devices and everything is grayed out.

Then I checked the System Devices section of the Control Panel to make sure the sound card was installed correctly and all drivers were installed. As you can see below, the sound card in this case the Realtek High Definition Audio card is installed and working properly.

Solution

It turns out the problem for this error lies in the Windows Audio Service, which usually starts automatically when the sound card is installed and working. However, in this case the service was turned off. Follow the instructions below to reactivate the Windows Audio service.

1) Click on Start and Run
2) Type the following command and press Enter

services.msc

3) Scroll down to Windows Audio in the right-hand column and double-click on it,

4) Make sure the Startup Type is set to Automatic and click on the Start button under Service Status. The Windows Audio service should restart and the error with the volume control should be resolved.

REPOSTED FROM: http://www.pchell.com/support/no_active_mixer_devices_available.shtml
Thank you. This is the exact solution. The other stuff written did not apply. Thanks!
DUDE Genius, saved me alot of Troubleshoot time. Thanx man