Computer powers on, but does not boot [Solved/Closed]

-
 GimliLOTR -
Hello,

I've had my desktop computer for about one year now. It is an Acer Aspire E380. On Saturday afternoon, it was going a bit slow so I decided to restart it. However, once it turned off, it will no longer turn on and boot up.

The power button usually lights up, but now it does not. But, the decorative words "Aspire" at the bottom of the tower still lights up. The DVD drive still opens, and a few lights blink on start up as usual.

The screen is blank. All of the fans seem to go, except for one. It is the one in the center of the computer on top of a group of metal prongs. It spins upon power up but stops. The power supply fan runs, the other fan runs too.

I have made sure everything is plugged in, and tried plugging it into different outlets. I can't boot from a CD, the keyboard doesn't turn on and neither does the mouse.

As far as starting up goes, everything sounds normal. No beeps or clicks to hint at harddrive failure. Sometimes when I try to start it up nothing comes on but the center fan on the metal prongs (the one that would run for only a few seconds) goes on full blast until I turn it off.

If everything seems to be going, what is stopping it from booting up?

195 replies

Great advice. Was getting nothing, turned out my video card had passed into the great hardware bin in the sky. Thanks!
I am so glad I found this site, hopefully someone can help me out here.
Bout a comptuer off tigerdirect for my girls. P4 D830 3.0ghz, etc etc.
Came home from shopping, and turned my computer on, checked email, and POOF, it goes out.
Hasn't been running sluggish, or anything. Just bam it was off. So tried to restart, nothing, no lights, no beeps, not sure if the motherboard beeps or not with problems anyway.
So pull everything apart, dust with compressed air, reset the RAM, reset all the power plugs, still nothing.
So I take the memory out, no beeps. Take all the extras out, sound card, etc etc. Nothing.
So out of curiousity, I plug only the main power cord into the motherboard, not the cpu power cord.
The power supply turns on, and lights go on the computer. Plug the CPU power cord back in, and nothing.
Wont' turn on.
So in wishful thinking, I ordered a new cpu fan, cause I obsolutely hate those push pin fans, and a new power supply.
After reading this I guess I will try and check out the processor, but it's only 2 months old, I would hope that it would not go out that fast.
Can anyone give me any suggestions as to if they think it's the power supply or motherboard or processor?

Thanks

Sandra
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 > JoeBudd
I could not understand, what do you mean by motherboard without processor?
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

I have an Acer - similar problem - here's what fixes it for me. Desktop PC on all day - goes into hibernation or standby for hours and then won't recover (usually by pushing power button once). Hold power button in until reboot - even repeatedly - and only fan and lights appear on case - nothing on monitor (light stays amber) and no beeps at all. DVD/CD drives will open and close. The first time, I unplugged everything from the case - put the unit in my repair/upgrade area, plugged it in and hit the power - it started right up, beeped and everything! Didn't even open the case! So just today (months later) it did it again - but this time I remembered that all I had really done before was to physically pull the power cord from the power supply/case. That made me remember this big "MFP" unit we have at work. It'a a copier on steroids, with a network connection. Anyways, it will sometimes refuse to clear a displayed error unless a "hard" reboot is done by unplugging from the wall, waiting and then plugging back in. This time I just pulled the power cord, waited about thirty seconds, put it back and started up - problem solved!
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

Ok, here is MY problem that I've been struggling with for months. One day our comp beeped and then shut down. When turned back on, I get a No Signal response from monitor. Fans turn, I hear the hard drive, and light on front is green. Here is what I've tried and the results...

Took out both memory, and turned it on, I get a long beep.

Used an eraser on memory, and it didn't work.

Did a heat test on processpr, and yep, it gets hot.

Replaced power supply, still nothing.

Tried putting in a new video card, (computer has integrated), and nothing.

Reset the BIOS pin thing, and nothing.

Tried another monitor, same message.

Here's the kicker. I tried switching the memory around and nothing, THEN I took one out and started it up, and bingo, it worked. THEN the screen got static, froze, and it turned itself back off. Tried doing it again a few times just to try to get it to stay on long enough to get to the BIOS menu and it stayed on shorter and shorter times each time I tried. Finally my tricked stopped working all together. Now when I have both memory in, and try turning it on, it beeps at me! The only time it doesn't beep is when I only have one memory stick in, but I still get no signal. Also, I've noticed then I have one stick in it stutters when powering up, but then does.

Any Help would be very much appreciated!
Natasha
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 > kntckyqt
Hi Dear, its a clear problem of bad memory card. According to the test you have performed and the results, both memory cards are defective.
Replace with a new one and your system will work again.
hey can sme1 tell me da solution 4 my problem please dis is da problem
The computer does not power up when the power button is pushed, although the power light on the monitor is on. The computer and monitor are connected to the mains by a Y mains lead
Hi,

Hopefully DJ AKSHAY is still monitoring this thread cause that dude knows everything.

I have done all the tests mentioned above (except for the RAM eraser job) and actually got the computer working after doing the motherboard jumper thing. It worked for 2 days and has now just died again with the exact same problem that the original question was.

Am I looking at a new MoBo? or do you think it is cause by a different problem
It is an old computer and I am worried that finding a new MoBo for the old parts inside is going to be costly!

Any help you can give would be appreciated

Thanks
Volg
Hi guys, Everything starts up normally and I have no bsods or what so ever. I dont even have a problem with my computer, but... lately just now I have noticed a orange light in front of the ram, even though the system is on and works perfectly. There is also a green light beside it. I use an Evga 780i motherboard, and I am wondering if I should worry about this.

Below is the picture where the orange light is on the motherboard.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7105/motherboard.jpg
> Tharmi
Hi, I am having system which I am not able to boot, while I on the system just fan sound is coming I remove the RAM, no beep sound is coming, I check the processor it is getting heat so, is it Mother Board problem??? Then what I have to do for this plz help in this.
Hi, I have the same problem but not NO SIGNAL and then nothing but always nothing. I checked monitor, RAM, CPU, power supply before I bought new graphic card at first. Then no change after new graphic I checked all and I bought motherboard and again no change!!?? It's socket 939 AMD Athlon XP, 2x DDR 400mhz 512mb, PATA harddrive, AGP Geforce 76OOGT and motherboard Gigabyte before and now MSI. Both nForce 3.
> kubajz
I HAD SAME PROBLEM FIRST THING I TRIED WAS THE ERASER. IT WORKED TY TY
> slick
Hi, I had the same problem all you have to do is take away network cards or things that run on power, I took out my network cards and started working. What it does it takes away too much power from the power supply, it causes it to not have power to the mobo. Everything is working fine on mine now.
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Hi, yes indeed it will cost you more than newer model motherboards. Have you changed the CMOS battery recently?
I suspect that your battery is having a low voltage and it is not being able to keep the settings you have done.

I would also request you to remove all dust from the components like motherboard, processor, processor fan, use the eraser to remove static from it. Your computer should work fine. Try testing the power supply also.
Hi
Thanks for all the above messages and help. My HP desktop won't start., If I press the power button the fans start for about 2-3 seconds then shuts down again. I've tried all the above tests, removing the RAM there are no bleeps and have reset the BIOS the processor gets hot.
Its only 6 months old and was fine yesterday!
Your help is really appreciated!
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Hi,
Given that your fan run for only 2-3 seconds and shutdown, you'll never hear a beep sound even if your motherboard / processor / memory / vga card are good. Because any motherboard takes approx. 5 secs to make the single beep sound which indicates the proper boot up of any system.

I suspect a power supply failure dear, make the power supply test with the green wire and any black wire. Short these two wires and the Power Supply should keep running as long as you keep shorting the two wires.

Otherwise you need to replace the power supply.
My laptop computer is doing the same thing. I push the start button and all the lights come one the fan starts and it dies after 2-3 seconds. I've replaced the battery and have checked the power cord. The new battery shows that it is charging even though the computer is not on. So it's getting juice. But won't turn on. Help, please!
all I can say check your monitor cable and make sure non are twisted and make sure that you have the right chip for the monitor if u do .. just switch place between the black and white wire that comes out of you monitor
Registration date
Thursday February 19, 2009
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2009

You think it's possible that the spark could have ruined something? I'm going to try the cpu test again and let it run longer and see what's up, the spark happened when I plugged the power cable back into the motherboard with the power still hooked up to the cpu :(
Registration date
Saturday February 21, 2009
Status
Last seen
February 22, 2009

Hi DJ AKSHAY, I have read through your posts and tried the eraser method on the rams and it didn't worked.

Now, my problem is similar to most of the people complaint about here: fan on, cd-rom on(light blanks), hard driver on, and blank screen with the no signal. Except my computer will still boot up sooner or later and the monitor will regain signal, post screen will show and proceeds the regular path of booting up windows XP. Everything works fine and normal after that. But the problem is it has a huge delay(ranging from 2mins - 20mins) before the screen gets a signal and post screen pops up.

thanks in advance for your help
Registration date
Status
Last seen
February 22, 2009

Hi DJ AKSHAY, I want to also add, the CPU I am using is a old AMD Athlon XP 1700+ and it should be able to run at 1.4GHZ, but I can only get it to run at 1.2GHZ, anything higher my computer will either freeze or get the blue screen of death.

What do you think the problem is? do you think I need some CPU cooling paste?

My CPU temperature is currently at 46C, motherboard 27C, VCore voltage at 1.74V.

thanks
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 >
Registration date
Status
Last seen
February 22, 2009

Hi, yes the normal operating frequency of the processor is 1.4... GHz. I suspect that either you have to flash the BIOS but of course if you know how to do it or you have to change the motherboard. Look, there is another possibility, if you can get a motherboard with another fault, you can remove the BIOS from in there and insert it in yours. This I believe will cost you nothing because that board I believe will already be faulty in some other way and you cannot pay for a faulty motherboard by the way. LOL.
Registration date
Friday February 27, 2009
Status
Last seen
February 28, 2009

Hey everyone looks like im not the only one with computer issues. I have read through most of these posts and have tried out a few of the suggestions but still not working.

My Issue:

Compaq Presario SR1150NX with PC3300 dram.. The computer was working fine about a month ago I havent used it for a while. Today I tried to put in some more dram but it wasnt the right size so I took it out. Regardless when I tried to boot the computer it powers on but there is that continuous beep. I thought at first it was my attempt at dram upgrade but I hadnt turned on the computer in a while so I didnt know for sure. (also the moniter doesnt detect a thing)

I went inside and tried a million tests and the only time the beep stopped was when I took out that 4pin ATX 12V. Also I live in canada but when I switched the power to 240V the beep stopped but nothing to the moniter as well. I am wondering if its a power supply issue or possible still a dram issue.

Help pleasee?
I was fitting a system with these components:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
8800GT
2x2GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066mhz
550W VX Corsair

Unfortunately the system would not turn on at all. I have tried fitting only the graphics card, processor, power supply, and memory. Which does not work. I have tested the power supply and that does seem to be working. I thought the motherboard was faulty so I got an RMA. It appears it is not faulty.

So the question is, what else could be causing this problem?
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Does it get the beep sound when you remove the memory cards. If not either your processor is faulty or you have not plugged in the ATX 4-PIN Connector onto your motherboard. These are the only two possibilities which might be causing this problem if your power supply is working properly.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

thanks for reply djakshay,

unfortunately, I cannot resolve this problem yet as I have RMA'd the MB and it is still at the supplier but I have ordered a similar motherboard and look forward to resolving this problem and also will test out the memory option.

my motherboard has a 8-pin connector and I am pretty sure I plugged that in right when I tested my system.

how can I be sure that the processor is faulty? (without putting it into another system)
> holymongol
additional info:

the power LED does not come on, the hard-drives do not spin.
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 > holymongol
As I have already mentioned in this thread, when you power up the system after removing the CPU fan, you will feel the processor heating up within 3-5 secs. This is the ultimate test if you do not have another system to test the CPU. But in your case you do not have the motherboard.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

problem resolved. fixed new motherboard and pretty much everything went smooth, but had to repair windows installation for some bizarre reason. but all is well for now.

thanks.
Registration date
Saturday February 28, 2009
Status
Last seen
March 1, 2009

High DJ
Your site is very informative and as it turns out timely.
Ive read all of the above posts and come to the conclusion that my Asus P5K
is dead. I also read that you are a Asus Rep. and I need some help
with my serial number ID to see if it is still under the 3 year warrenty.
I dont have the original box with the number on it as stated on the Asus site, so I need
some help with the serial number format.
I have 4 decals but none show up as a serial on the ASUS site
79M0AIH55225
001D60A246AB
0011D800017E30F9
C79B388-15817-60-MBB670-C02 0603
Any help would be terrific to see if this can be a RMA
Thank You
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Here is your serial number: 79M0AIH55225
Sorry everyone for late reply because my father deceased yesterday... May his soul rest in peace. Let us all pray a little for my Late father.
Hello DJ Akshay!

First of all, I want to express my sympathies for the death of your father. After having read this thread and all your wonderful advice, it made me sad to hear such bad news.

If you have the time, I would greatly appreciate if you could help me with my computer problem.

My PC won't power on. Sometimes, when I press the power button, it will come on for at most 2 or 3 seconds, the fans turn a bit, the lights flash and then it is off again.

I tried removing everything unnecessary (and also the memory) but that didn't help. I suspected the power supply. So I did the test with shortening the wires. The fan is running. I also measured the voltages. I get +11.28V, -10.54V, 5.3V, -4.95V and 3.3V. Does that sound o.k. to you?

Do you have any ideas what else I could test?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I've once been to Mauritius and I loved it!! :)
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Thank you very much dear.

Yes, the voltages are OK. Have you removed everything and then tested the voltages? Because the 11.28v is seen when every component inside is connected with the power supply. I believe you will not be able to perform the processor heat test due to the system running for only 2-3 secs.

I would recommend you to test the system with another power supply, of course if you can borrow 1 from a relative or friend but which should be in good running condition. I am telling you this because I have got cases where the power supply runs when everything is disconnected but do not run when connected with the motherboard. I myself have got an IBM PC at home with such a power supply. It is a very good quality power supply. I bought the PC in the year 2001 and it was still running till November 2008 and stopped since then. I can repair the power supply myself but as you know this is very time consuming, to check each and every part inside. Normally there is a resistor which is faulty in that. Only then you will get such a problem.

If trying with another power supply does not resolve the problem then I suspect a motherboard failure. You will then have to replace the motherboard.

Yes, Mauritius is great but very difficult to find suitable jobs for qualified people out here. This is the only problem we have got here but everything else is great.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

Thank you very much for your fast answer. You are right that I measured the voltages with everything disconnected. I guess I will ask in a store if I can buy a power supply and bring it back if it doesn't solve the problem. I know a nice little electronics store where they might do this kind of stuff...

As you said, I'm not able to do the processor test. Also, thinking back, this was a problem I had coming for a long time. In the beginning, it would happen every now and then that the computer would not start when I pressed the power button. Back then, it helped to press the button for a long time, release it and then press it again. Then it would eventually power up. Now, even that makes it come on only for a second or so... If it was the processor, the problem would probably not have evolved that slowly?

I will tell you if the new power supply helped!

Thanks again!! It is really amazing how many people you are helping!!

Have a good day!
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

Hi, I am having the same problem with my computer, I turn it on, and it doesnt boot up. Not even to the Motherboard boot screen. I have tried the RAM test, and no beeps came along. I have tried the CPU test, but it still remains cold after a few seconds.

Specs -
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 6000+
Motherboard - ASUS M2N-E SLI
PSU - 600W
RAM - 2x 1GB A-DATA Vitesta Extreme Edition DDR2-800
> Piemanpm
Just tried it again, but for longer, and it started getting warm before I shut it off. I have also tried clearing the CMOS, with little success.
Registration date
Wednesday March 4, 2009
Status
Last seen
March 5, 2009

Thanks to all those who have posted solutions.

My story is thus:

At xmas I got a nasty virus - ended up doing a reinstall of XP Pro.
During the virus removing stage I preformed a lot of hard shutdowns after I knackered the registry (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! :D )

After reinstalling XP I noticed that maybe 7 out of 10 times the PC wouldn't boot first time.

Fans/HDD's etc would spin up - no signal to monitor or KB/Mouse. Lights on mobo come on (little green led type thing)

Tried resetting CMOS - no help, removed RAM - continious beeps. Reseating GFX etc, removing KB/Mouse.

Thing is that this machine, when it's on, works 100% fine.

Eventually it stopped booting altogether, sent it to a repare man and he tried various things, and eventually swopped the RAM and it complained (the PC), replaced it with my original RAM and it booted up. Worked fine again for a while (shut down and booted up no problem).

Then same issue - fans/HDD spin up, no signal to monitor. Guy came round - RAM swop didn't work, but after a few attempts of booting we noticed that the KB had lit up, but no screen. A CTRL-ALT-DELETE, got it back to XP start up (but no BIOS info screen) with a corrupted config.sys (if I recall). We then restored old back-up settings and it booted fine.

I don't think the problem is XP (as we don't even get a BIOS boot screen), but I'm at a loss as to what the issue is. I'm happy to leave the PC on permanetly (though of course this means not being able to do any updates that require a restart...), but I'm moving house in a few days and till we invent wireless power - this means swtiching the PC off.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? As I stated - this PC (when it's on) works 100% fine (even so far as to run BF2 for 5 hours straight, so GFX is also fine :D ). Aside from the XP reinstall, not added or removed hand hardware in years.

System info:
Intel C2D 6400
2GB RAM
MOBO DG965WH Intel

Only thing in device manager complaining is: Intel(R) ICH8DH LPC Interface Controller - 2812 (some sort of quickstart power thing - might be the problem?)

Thanks for your help
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Hi,
"till we invent wireless power" - Hahahhaahaha. Great Saying.

Well, the fact that you do not see the BIOS or POST Screen is that it has been set to Quick Boot by yr favorite technician. Normally this happens also when you reset the BIOS to factory settings.

I would recommend you to run a hard disk scan for errors (BAD SECTORS).

1 thing you need to observe is even when the system does not start "according to you", look at the led on your monitor, if it does not boot, you will see its color changed. You should know the color of the led when your monitor gets display. If it is the case with an LCD, the color will change or keep flashing indicating NO DISPLAY.

The hard shutdowns damage your Hard Disk. You should know this. Either the bad sectors will give these type of errors or a bad memory card.

Remove the hard disk and boot the system, you will see the BIOS / POST Screen and a message displayed as such:
Please insert Boot Device and Press Enter...
Registration date
Wednesday March 4, 2009
Status
Last seen
March 5, 2009
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I've run a checkdisk and it ran fine to completion, and then with 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' checked it got to phase 3 and gave 'windows was unable to complete the disk check' error.

I'm guessing that this means sectors buggered beyond repair go forth and buy a new HDD?

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the BIOS screen - when the PC boots properly I see the BIOS screen, but when it doesn't I don't.

IIRC when the PC powers up the button on the LCD goes from orange (standby) to blue (on) and then back to orange. If I then manually turn it on I get a no signal message.

I still need to use my PC till I move, but will try removing the HDD's (two in RAID) when (if), it doesn't boot up again after the move.

Odd that it's possible that bad sectors on the HDD would stop the BIOS from showing, but then I'm not a PC technician :D

Thanks again.
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 >
Registration date
Wednesday March 4, 2009
Status
Last seen
March 5, 2009

Try using a new memory card or use the eraser to remove the static energy.

If not good, then your motherboard is becoming faulty and you will soon need to replace it.
I Think your hardrive has gone I Had the same problem and descoiverd the HDD had gone
can you acsess the BIOS,If so run a hardrive scan that shud show any problems
Registration date
Wednesday March 4, 2009
Status
Last seen
March 5, 2009

That does seem to be the consensus here, but what confuses me is that the PC that is suffering from this issue is the one I'm working on now and I've not noticed any HDD issues. As I said, it works 100% when it chooses to boot up, but if it doesn't want to boot then it wont - if that makes any sense..

I'll find out on Tuesday if it wants to boot up when I move. I've not switched it off since it last started (about a month ago) up as I've not been able to have it out of comission due to work, so couldn't take the chance of it not booting.
Hi Chuckstar, have so far -exactly- the same problem as you have. Only: times that the system is actually booting turned from 1 out of 10 tot 1 out of 1000 attempts and now it feels like its gone forever.
I took to the same approach as you did, just keeping my pc on, and everything was fine, until recently I had a heavy virus (coincidence?) which took over admin rights, so I couldn't even reach the task manager. So I panicked and shut it off. Putting it back on, used the CMOS clear trick, which didnt work immediately but I felt like it gave it a better chance to get past bios phase ('hit del for bios')... but never got so far that I could get to boot from the cd. Any option I chose on the win 'safe mode options' menu would lead to shut off.

Removing mem cards makes everything look like it's running (fans lights - but no bios or boot tho) and gives the beeps.
Plugging out the JPWR1 4pin CPU power cable does the same: all fans and things are running but no bios or boot.

Did the fingertip test, the CPU is heating up.

Disconnecting the HD: problem stays the same.

So what's all this eraser talk I'm hearing some people say worked for them... how do I clear my mem card?
Im sorry but what do you mean by short the greenwith a black? Sorry if it's a dumb question.
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Remove (disconnect) the 24-pin connector of the power supply from the motherboard.
You will see a 1 green wire in the 24 pin connector. Connect this one with any black wire through the help of a wire or pin.
Registration date
Friday December 25, 2009
Status
Last seen
January 1, 2010

has this happened all of a sudden or after a hardware/software update??