Computer powers on, but does not boot [Solved/Closed]

-
 GimliLOTR -
Hello,

I've had my desktop computer for about one year now. It is an Acer Aspire E380. On Saturday afternoon, it was going a bit slow so I decided to restart it. However, once it turned off, it will no longer turn on and boot up.

The power button usually lights up, but now it does not. But, the decorative words "Aspire" at the bottom of the tower still lights up. The DVD drive still opens, and a few lights blink on start up as usual.

The screen is blank. All of the fans seem to go, except for one. It is the one in the center of the computer on top of a group of metal prongs. It spins upon power up but stops. The power supply fan runs, the other fan runs too.

I have made sure everything is plugged in, and tried plugging it into different outlets. I can't boot from a CD, the keyboard doesn't turn on and neither does the mouse.

As far as starting up goes, everything sounds normal. No beeps or clicks to hint at harddrive failure. Sometimes when I try to start it up nothing comes on but the center fan on the metal prongs (the one that would run for only a few seconds) goes on full blast until I turn it off.

If everything seems to be going, what is stopping it from booting up?

195 replies

Hi hope some one can help .
about 2 month ago I turned my desktop of and it would not boot up no post no bleeps no picture on monitor. but everything has pwer goin to it fans are running led's are running etc.
after reading alot about it I took everything out of my case checked cpu pins checked motherboard components etc and cleaned everything reset cmos . tried it again and still nothing but sometimes it would just boot up out of the blue and work fine .untill I would turn her of then the same problem again no post no beeps..
now it been over 2 month since I last tried my desktop out of the case last night connected everything up and still nothing . took to sticks of ram out reset cmos and still nothing tried that a few times and then I got bleeps turned her of put ram back in and it booted up perfect.. turned it off last night and again to day I tried it and nothing again no post no picture or beeps . untill I reset cmos and moved my ram two another two slots and she booted up ok .

i am posting the message from the pc in question if I trun it of theres a good chance that it wont boot up again same as before . this is really starting to wind me up ive tried everything and just cannot work out whats wrong

my pc specs are as follows

amd athlon 64 x2 duelcore 4200 + 2.20 ghz
2gb ocz ram
32 bit os
sapphire motherboard pure amd socket 939 pc-9ard580adv
600w silverstone power supply

thanks in advance for any help
nov.
forgot to say my graphics cards are radion x1650 pro 512mb. I have two of these in my pc running crossfire. ive tried swapping the cards and tried using just one of them but still the same probs .
Hi im having the same problem with my PC. I turn it on and it won't recongize the moitor, the screens just blank and the monitor led is orange. Ive tried removing the ram and powering on the pc, and I do get the beeping noise. Ive tried switching out video cars and that didnt work, ive tried removing the video card and using the on oard video adapter and that didnt work. Also ive swapped the two different sticks of ram with eachother, still nothing, I tried my old ram that was still working when I removed it and that didnt work. I dont have one of those ereasers you talked about so I cant try that. and my power supply displays the correct voltage with a volt meter. Is thee anything else I can do to fix this problem? please help!
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Hi, the eraser is quite easy to get. This is an ordinary eraser, not special one. The eraser which students use to erase things written with a pencil. LOL.

Reset the BIOS with the help of the jumper. Then use the eraser to remove the static energy on your memory card.

I believe that your motherboard, power supply and processor are all in good working condition.
Because it seems others are getting good help here too, I'll post my problem. Thanks to anyone who can help-- I've been stuck on this for 3 weeks.

I've been attempting to build my first computer, but I can't even get it to POST. Memory and PSU do not seem to be the problem, and I'm assuming that my GPU is working too because it warms up when I turn on the computer. I RMA'd the mobo initially because I thought it was the problem, but now it appears as it is not. The mobo is in the case with the standoffs set in place, and the case seems to not be the problem as I have already tried booting with the mobo out of the case.

I've run out of ideas, and after a few (literally) long nights, I'm submitting to anyone for help.
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
check in the motherboard's manual if it supports the processor you have put in there. How can you be so sure that the memory card is not the problem.

To see if the processor is compatible with the motherboard, you should hear continuous beep sounds when you remove the memory card and then power on the system.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

It is compatible (AM2+). I got no beep sounds, so I'm assuming that it's just a faulty processor, along with everything else working well. I'm fairly positive the memory is not the problem as I tried with 3 different kinds (533, 667, 1066, the latter what will be my build's memory) and nothing worked. I also tried the eraser trick just in case and got nothing.
Thankyou so much DK ashkay!!! I had an assignment due tomorrow which I can now complete because with your guidance I fixed my computer! You should do motivational speaking at schools.
PS: forgot to add, that just in case swap PSU for differend one and the same result as above no success THX
Registration date
Saturday March 28, 2009
Status
Last seen
March 29, 2009

Yo dj,

I have a Pentium 4 processor and 512 mbs of ram.
Everything is right until I get the the boot screen where is says:CMOS Checksum Bad Error
But then, it is frozen and I can't press any keys on the keyboard.
I sometimes can get into the menu (boot Thingy im computer illiterate) And I set the default and still same thing happens.
I have a Gateway 6813m laptop, and it doesn't boot up, not even the bios screen. The screen is just completely blank, but every else turns on. The hard drive activity light always only goes on for about 5 seconds, then the computer just stay like that.

I tried the 30-60 second trick but it didn't work. My laptop won't turn on with just the power cable.
Eraser on the ram worked a treat, nice once fella.
Registration date
Wednesday April 15, 2009
Status
Last seen
April 16, 2009

I have sorta the same problem. But I am on a dell vista. when I turn the laptop on all the lights come on the fan comes on. But the screen stays black. I took it to the place I bought it from and they said the best thing they could do was erase the memory and I dont want that. is there any other way I can fix this without losing all my data.
hi dj please help me... I have a problem with my computer, sometimes it doesn't detect the cd-rom, and it will not go to windows, then I change the 1st boot to ide, and it would just give me a black screen, but when I pull the plug off, then wait for a couple of minutes then turn it on again, it would reach the windows but it would take so much time,this problem comes back again and again, and now that i've reach the desctop, my computer runs slow, specially when I download using download manager... please help me, is it possible that my bios have virus? or is it possible for the bios to have a virus? please help me....
Hello DJ,
I hope you can help.
I was on my computer when the monitor shut down, usb ports released peripherils, computer completely froze. Fans were still on, power was still going to mobo & HDDs. HDDs still spinning
Restarted comp & will not even post. No signal to monitor.
Changed PSU, power is still good
removed Ram, used eraser, changed pos on mobo, nothing
restarted comp w/out ram installed, no beeps
removed AGP video card, no beep. Used different video card PCI, still no signal.
No PCI cards installed.
Removed all peripherils, still will not post
Tried CPU test, turned on for 5 sec, then 10 secs then 2 mins, the CPU will not heat-up.
According to what you've written here, read every reply you made, the CPU has failed.
Should I replace the CPU & mobo as well?

Hope you can help. Thank you for all the people you help, all over the world...

Regards,

Skyslave

ASUS K8N-E Deluxe Mobo
AMD Atholon 64 3000+ CPU
2x1gb Patriot DDR333 Ram
Samsung SATA HDDs 2x250gb
500 watt PSU
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Hi, what I can distinguish from your problem in here is that you have got a defective processor.
But first of all I would recommend you removing the processor from the slot. Of course you have to remember to remove the power cord, and CMOS battery. Clear the CMOS through the jumper settings and return the jumper to initial position. Place back the processor and fan. Power up the system again and tell me what it gives.
Registration date
Thursday April 23, 2009
Status
Last seen
April 24, 2009

DJ,
Also Have 2 case fans Have disconnected fans & cpu fan, still no beeps, still won't post or send signal to monitor.

Thanks again,

Skyslave
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Disconnecting the fans will not make the motherboard send you beep sounds indicating fan error.
I think if what I said did not work then you will have to change the processor ultimately. Or if you have got a friend who uses the same type of processor, not necessarily the same capacity, you can really test if the processor itself is faulty or not. But remember what I always tell everyone out here. THE CULPRIT IS either THE MOTHERBOARD or THE PROCESSOR. It can never be both.
Registration date
Thursday April 23, 2009
Status
Last seen
April 24, 2009

DJ,
Did all you said, & still the same. Won't post, no beeps. Tried it with & w/out monitor being attached. Still the same. Temp sensor in front of Comp shows 64.5 f, after turning on, for 10 mins.
Dear dj my problem is that after my pc was having the problem that it didnt turn on the monitor although everything inside fans etc is working properly and after checking every thing you say there is still nothing on the monitor so I bought an other used motherboard from ebay shop put everything on it and again the same problem .Prossesor is ok because it heats up tried 3 diferent vga cards,cmos jumpers,eraser,i just havent tried other memory ram because I ordered it from ebay and im waiting for it .I also tried to see if without the memory there would be a beep from the speaker and there is no beep sound I also tried the older motherboard without memory and again there is no beep .the speaker is working well.Is it possible both motherboard to be faulty PLEASE HELP!!!
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Does the motherboard support this generation of processor. It is not necessary that a motherboard having the same CPU socket as yours to accept the processor though it adapts to the same type of socket.
And if the motherboard you just purchased supports the processor then the only other possible problem lies with the memory card.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

Yes both motherboards soport this prossesor.Is it possible even if the prossesor heats up if you touch it ,it could not be working right? And on the old motherboard before it broke down I had 2 memories on it is it posible both of them to break down the same time and dont work any more?
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 > billyteme
Yes, it could be that the processor is faulty even if it heats up but believe me, this happens in really rare cases.

The answer to your second question is No. Unless you placed either of them improperly.

Why don't you just borrow a processor from a friend of yours and just test it on the motherboards to verify if the processor itself was the real culprit.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

Hi DJ Aksay,
I'm having the same problem as everyone else.
One day randomly, I started up my pc and the fans went on but nothing else.
I thought it was the monitor but I've plugged in my other pc and it worked fine which leads me to believe its the motherboard.
I've read through the other comments and I've tried replacing and removing the 4 RAM cards and starting again but I do not hear any beeps. I am using an ASUS P4P800 E Deluxe. I replaced the mobo with an older (but functional) ASUS P4P800 SE and still same problem.
What can you suggest I do?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Aaron
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

Hey DJ im generally good with computers built my own from scratch and can solve many common hardware problems but atm im in a rut... well ima skip telling you what I have and just tell you what I know.. The PC shut off 1 day while I was on it playing a game in an instant, no warnings just boom.. It wouldnt power back on, I first assumed power supply failure. Ordered a new psu and started the comp it came on but did not turn monitor on so I restart and then it no longer came on anymore. That led me to believe it was the mother board so I ordered a new mother board (it was open box) computer came on with the same PSU still nothing with the moniter, tested on 2 moniters that both work.. I took the battery out of the new mobo and inserted it back.. took the comp to a friend who works on them who told me it was my cpu so I called intel cause quads have the 3year and I got a brand new 1.. Still no monitor.. Took the ram out and cleaned with eraser/ the new mobo beeps without ram the old mobo wont even let the computer kick on unless the 12v 4pin isnt connected. Processor heats up...
1 thing thats weird is that the computer kicks on with the new motherboard and I hear the cd rom spin and make a noise (HD isnt in computer its on the 1 im on now) but it kicks itself off after about 20-30 seconds so I couldnt even try to blind flash the bios... I have 2 sticks of the same ram but my dilemma is its either both cards are bad or the new mobo doesnt match the ram... this is the new mobos detals
Number of Memory Slots 2×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 667
Maximum Memory Supported 2GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel

This is my ram.. Kingston KVR667D2K2/2GR 2GB 2 x 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 PC2 5300 Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

This is my full mobo https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813135068R

What do you think my problem is?
when I turn on the power button all the fans work except for the one that is plugged in for cpu fan. the monitor is also blank with no signal. I have tried
*processor test it warms up
*taking out the rams and no beep but it restarts my computer
*i tried to reset bios but no cmos jumpter I took out the battery and put em back after 1min
*tried unplugging power cord and pressing the turn on button for 30sec and reconnecting
*also tried to erase the rams with a eraser
*i plugged the cpu cooler on another comput it works

none of the above worked ;(

so im woundering is it because that my motherboard is dead?
Registration date
Saturday August 16, 2008
Status
Last seen
September 22, 2012
the cpu is the place where max heat is generated due to processing

now either ur cpu fan is burnt out or and ur chip has defected due to overheating,

i suggest u to first check and replace if necessary ur cpu fan and doube check ur power source for the fan

awaiting comments

Melsio mascarenhas
mikethedike
INDIA
Recently decided to migrate my aging dimension 4700 system into an new case. Added some fans, hdd's and a new psu. Powered it up and sparks shot out of the mobo near the ram slots/power connector, but there is no physical evidence so I dont know where the sparks actually came from. Checked the connections throughout the board, all were fine. Anyway now the pc will power up, fans and drives power up, lcd tude lights up but no bios or post or anything. The cpu (passively cooled) heatsink stays cold but the ram sticks heat up very quickly to the point where it hurts to touch them. If I remove the ram I get no beeps and the cpu does not warm up. My guess is that its the mobo, since both the ram and the cpu are not functioning properly, like its shorted out or something, but I would love your opinion.

thanks.
Hi Dj Ask I hope you really read my message..Well my problem is this.. I was using my computer normal...turned it off . went for a drive then came back I trieed to turn my computer but it woudlnt even turn on or anything I though it had to do something with the plug so I disconnected. then connected it again,when I did that it turned on for about 3 secs,the fan was spinning the PSU was running normal and the motherboard after 3 seconds the fan stopped and the green light inside just was kept on,..i dissconnected everything and tried again but no luck I been wondering where I can get help but none shows help..im not sure of my computer name or model im not that good with the stuff...thank you guys for anyreply

Hi, I am having problem to boot the PC. Powers on, fans are coming on spinning on high, the DVD drive is not coming on (the light is off but I hear it spinn few times), I hear the HDD spin few times then stop, the power stays on, fans spinning happily but doesn't even go to Bios, the screen stays black. I have to say this strated to happen with my old mobo P5n, I thought that was it, I have replaced for p5q pro, did work fine for like week with no fail, then it started to happen again and then more often. Now out of 40 tries the PC will boot once, sometimes not even that. I thought , right, could be memory, swapped it around, tried one at a time, tried different memory but nothing. Thought maybe power supply, bought new one but still, so got the PSU tested but I have been told it's fine. Then I heard could be PCI, took the graphics out, tried different one but still. Tried different HDD but 0. I tried plugging and unplugging everything but no help there. I don't have the speaker so couldn't listen to the beeps. Also thought it might be shorting somewhere so I checked the chassis but seems fine, I heve unscrewed the mobo and let it sort of sit on one of those anti magnetic wraps and nothing. Got bored one day, took it to the computer shop for testing and the guy turned it on 7 out of 7 times, gave it back to me, told me I am crazy and charged me £20... I am thinking can it be the main socket so shall I buy something to stabilize? I am really running out of ideas, please give me some hope and something to try. It is really confusing because sometimes it will boot just fine (of course not when I need it). My specs are: PSU: OCZ 780MXS, MB: Asus P5Q Pro, CPU: Q6600, RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz, 500 GB HDD, GPU: XFX 9800gx2.

Cheers
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Reset the BIOS Settings using the jumper settings. Make no modifications in the BIOS. Use everything set as default itself.

Also use the eraser to remove presence of static energy on the memory card.

The internal speaker is very easy to find, ask the technician to give you one, I know he should have many like those for him to give you one only. LOL.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

Hi,

thanks for your reply, I didn't expect you would answer so quick. I have tried to reset the Bios before so my last succesfull booting which about 3 days ago was with default settings. I have tried the eraser trick but that didn't help in my case I am affraid. I went to buy the main power stabiliser and anti surge lead but waste of money that was. I can try to get the speaker and see what beeps it will give me, if you think that could bring some light into it. Thanks for trying to help, any more ideas would be deeply appreciated and I will let you know about the beeps.
I was having the same problem with booting after building my pc. I was not getting any beeps at all on load. The fans would move, the motherboard lit up on the inside; however, it wouldnt give me any sign of life besides the fans and such.

I sent it into a shop and they just told me that the computer case may be the issue. Have you ever heard of anything like this or are they simply giving me an answer to take the problem off their hands?
I think I'm going to go home and try something that I overlooked....

simply open up the CPU and reapply it. perhaps it simply became dislodged...

would that cause this issue.
DJ, here are the specs for my PC:
INTEL QUAD CORE Q6700 2.66 GHZ 1
WD RAPTOR 150GB 10,000 RPM SATAII
3X1GB CORSAIR DDR2 6400 XMS2 ETREME
CASE FAN 2
BLACK LITEON 20X DVDRW LH-20A1H 1
24" IDE ROUND CABLE WITH 3 HEADS 1
12-IN-ONE INTERNAL CARD READER 1
RAID-0 STRIPING 1
INTEL GIGABITE BAST-T NIC 1
PROFESSIONAL CABLE WIRING 1
THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 700 WATT 1
CREATIVE X-FI XtremeGamer RETAIL 1
EVGA GEFORCE G8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E 1
CS-417-103 RAIDMAX SAGITTA II /BLUE /WINDOW 1
ULTRA CHILLTEC THERMO CPU COOLER 1
C2D ASUS P5N32-E SLI QUAD 680I 775 1

I was on my PC the other day, shut it down.tried to boot up few hours lated and got nothing. New GPU put in, nothing.
Tried te eraser on ram, nothing again.removed all the pci cards and nonessential hardware,nothing.
I checked the voltage on the 8 pin power to my mobo and I read 12.15 volts DC across them all.
I felt the CPU and it was warm. the green light on my mobo is on.All fan work. I can hear the HDD start up then they quit and I get nothing. seems like my USB ports are dead to. I dont see the lights on the front of my pc that tell me the HDD is running and booting.I tried removing all the ram and even put a new stick in by itself.
I'm at a loss. Hope you can help. thank you
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 > oneshot524
Not the onboard (integrated) one but you can connect one through the pins next to the power switch pins, where SPK is written normally 4 pins. You need the speaker to troubleshoot where the problem is situated because I cannot tell you to replace every part just to find where the problem is.
I hope you can understand that the speaker is essential for troubleshooting.
You can find one at any computer shop. They can give it to you freely because it is so cheap. LOL.
The 8pin & 24 pin should remain connected to the motherboard. If the system does not boot, none of the USB devices will light up or work.
Find the internal speaker and inform me by replying back.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

DJ,
I actually found the speaker connection and it was connected to a speaker on the front of my case.
I removed everything but 1 stick of ram ,CPU,Chilltec CPU cooler. I do not hear any beeps when I power on.
Yesterday I did hear one beep a couple of times , but I do not remember what I had done. Now I get no beeps.
I took out the cmos battery to and then replaced it after about 20 minutes. I'm lost :-(
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 > oneshot524
Reset the BIOS through the jumper settings. Don't forget to remove the power cord from the power supply.
You should then press the power switch 2-3 times. Then place the jumper back in its initial position.
It should work now. You should hear the beeps now. This means the system is RESET now.
One thing I would recommend you all :

NEVER OVERCLOCK YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU WANT TO AVOID PROBLEM.

It's like when you are racing, normally you should shift gears when you reach 6,000 RPM and when you overclock it means you are shifting gears @ 7,000 / 8,000 RPM which will blow the engine.

Use the eraser again on the memory cards and insert only 1 RAM and put it in the motherboard and power on. It should work if the memory card is good.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

DJ,
Well I lost all patience and took my PC to a computer place not far from my home. He tested all the hardware. Its my mobo,the good news is it is covered by a warranty. So I shipped it off to ASUS this morning. Hopefully have it back the end of next week.
I just wanted to thank you for all your help. You have taught me a lot about computers and I appreciate your kindness and patience. Thank you very much my friend!
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 > oneshot524
It was my pleasure...