Computer powers on, but does not boot [Solved/Closed]

-
 GimliLOTR -
Hello,

I've had my desktop computer for about one year now. It is an Acer Aspire E380. On Saturday afternoon, it was going a bit slow so I decided to restart it. However, once it turned off, it will no longer turn on and boot up.

The power button usually lights up, but now it does not. But, the decorative words "Aspire" at the bottom of the tower still lights up. The DVD drive still opens, and a few lights blink on start up as usual.

The screen is blank. All of the fans seem to go, except for one. It is the one in the center of the computer on top of a group of metal prongs. It spins upon power up but stops. The power supply fan runs, the other fan runs too.

I have made sure everything is plugged in, and tried plugging it into different outlets. I can't boot from a CD, the keyboard doesn't turn on and neither does the mouse.

As far as starting up goes, everything sounds normal. No beeps or clicks to hint at harddrive failure. Sometimes when I try to start it up nothing comes on but the center fan on the metal prongs (the one that would run for only a few seconds) goes on full blast until I turn it off.

If everything seems to be going, what is stopping it from booting up?

195 replies

I've replaced the memory for the same but still nothing. reckon its the board. Gonna get one this week.
As Mr Akshay keeps saying it is usually memory related. I can only boot up my pc by resetting cmos and cant flash my bios. I then got sporadic bluescreen of death and found the following text really helpful in ditching old ram for new, which has resolved my prob (i never knew ram could be so temperamental):
http://www.realgeek.com/forums/page-fault-in-non-paged-area-blue-screen-273723.html
Registration date
Sunday July 26, 2009
Status
Last seen
July 28, 2009

I Have a Intel D845PT Motherboard with Pentium 4 1.8 GHz CPU I tried everything you posted I think.
Everytime I plug the system or power it on, the green power light comes on the MB
and both the system and CPU fan run and nothing is displayed on the monitor
.the keyboard flashes one time when I turn it on but thats it I have power going to the CD drive
, mouse and keyboard. I do hear 3 beeps after I took out the memory cards
, I tried using a new one in a different slot with no luck.I have a Matrox G450 Dual 32MB video card
which I tested in a different MB which works fine. I have tried 3 different PSUs with no luck.
Please help josers300zx josers300zx@mchsi.com
Great discussion about the issue...

I have a similar nagging issue... I disassembled my Dell XPS2 to enhouse it into wooden TV stand. When I plugged the power cord into the power supply the CPU, video card and power supply fans turned on and kept on spinning. When I boot the PC boots find and everything works, except that when I shut down the fans never stop spinning.

I did try the eraser/Ram approach, and even resetting BIOS by taking out the motherboard flat battery, none worked...

Can anyone help please?
Hello,

This thread looks like THE thread for help on computer failures, so I am going to try my hand here and see if any helpful soul can guide me.

First let me just say what troubleshooting I´ve done:

-Switched RAM, checked everyone and in different slots.
-Tried my HD in another computer, and it worked.
-Tried another HD in this computer and it failed to load winXP.
-Tried another GFX card, no luck.
-Tried cleaning CPU fan and put computer in cold room. Got temp down to very acceptable 35-40c in BIOS, but still no luck.
-Tried running chkdsk from DOS promt, provided by repair in the XP install CD, but computer give me bluescreen whenever I try it.
-Tried flashing BIOS, no luck.
-Tried loading fail-safe BIOS, no luck.

And here are the symptoms:

My computer started giving me bluescreens the other day. It then got more and more often until finally I couldn´t get into windows, just bluescreen. I got into safe-mode for a few minutes, then I got bluescreen, and after a few tries it wont even load in safe-mode anymore. I tried using the XP cd repair, but if you read above you´ll see what happened. Whenever I tried going past the repair and tried loading the install, I always got bluescreen.

Now the problem have got worse, I don´t even get bluescreens anymore. When I load windows, everything just goes black before I get to the XP loading logo. I can´t get to windows repair anymore, because when the CD say "windows setup loading" it just loads forever.

The three different error codes I´ve got are:
0x00000024
0x0000009c
0x0000007f

When googling on them, one talks about ntfc file system corruption, one about ram and motherboard failure, and one about general hardware failures.

When removing all the RAM, there are no beeps at all when powering up the computer, is this normal?

So, does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Could it maybe be the fan or the CPU that is failing? I don´t think it´s a heating problem, as the temp has got very low now, so does CPUs ever break down? Could it be the motherboard that has given up, and is there anymore I can do to tell if that´s the case? I would very much like to be sure that it is the motherboard or the CPU, and not just a bad fan for the CPU, before buying a new, so you opinion in this matter would be most appreciated.

I know I could take the computer to a repairman, but it is so expensive :/ And I have no friends where I can try the CPU, I´m afraid.

Anyway, thanks for any answers.

Specs:

MB: MSI p35 neo-f
Core2 E6750 (with standard fan)
Corsair XMS2 3x1gb 667mhz CL4
HD: 250gb 7200rpm SATA
Case: Antec Sonat3 with Antec Earthwatts 500w PSU
winXP x64
Hi my computer when I try to turn it on the fan runs for like one sec then stops and the power on light just flashes. I tried taking out the memory cards and it seems to work fine at least the cpu. But of course does nothing without the memory cards in it. Please help
Hi again,

First of all thanks for your fast replies,

Im running Vista home edition 32bit So its not the XP bootfailure but thanks for your suggestion.

My motherboard is a Asus P5N-D nforce 650i chipset with Intel Q6600 processor.
Hope this is enough info for you to work with.
And again thanks for your willing to help out.
Should be 750i
> Barson
Okay looked up the books now and sorry for the confusion but its a P7N SLI platinum Nforce 750i SLI
Hello,

I have a 5 year old Dell Dimension 4600 3GHz desktop with Windows XP SP3 and 2x256MB RAM. I have never opened it up and so no hardware has been touched. However, it has recently started to display the symptoms mentioned so far. When switching it on, the CPU starts up as normal, however the monitor LED remains orange and does not display anything. Yet if I hold down the power button to switch off the pc and switch it on again it does actually start up as normal. At the moment it takes one manual shutdown though there have been times when it has taken more for it to start up. Is this eventually going to lead to it never starting? Please could you suggest a solution to this problem?

Many thanks.
Registration date
Saturday September 12, 2009
Status
Last seen
September 13, 2009

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue to everyone here. For a long time, I was trying to draw more amps than my power supply had to give. This resulted in sinusoidal cpu spike that cycled between 0-30% cpu usage by the 'system' process. This is because I installed a newer graphics card and my little 230W tower couldn't fully power it. Sometimes the cpu usage would increase to 50% and stay there, and when I would restart the computer, it would hang on the 'shutting down windows...'. I learned to deal with this since I didnt want to invest too much in this old computer.

Then about a week ago I found that my computer wouldn't start anymore. I checked the psu, and the light no longer came on when the power was plugged in. So I figured it had finally given out, and now I need to replace it. I would have replaced it much earlier, but because my tower is so small, I can only fit a 4in deep psu into the box.

I found a replacement and bought it:
Old psu: https://www.atxpowersupplies.com/230-watt-power-supply-bestec-atx-1953f.php
New psu: https://www.atxpowersupplies.com/400-watt-power-supply-ap-mps3atx40.php

This should provide me with 170 extra watts and 6 extra amps on the 12V line, and should fix my original troubles. So I installed in a few days ago. Then when I turned in on, I heard the beep, beep, beep, beep,....
This is how I found this thread, as I searched for an answer to this.

So then I tried the wonderful rubber eraser trick, and on the next start, no more beeping, and it seems to start more normally. All of the fans are running, the cd-drives open/close. But no display, no signal to the monitor, and the keyboard never lights up. The HD light light in the front stays steady, it doesn't flicker as it usually does while starting up.

So I'm fairly stuck, and not sure what to do. During the psu installation, I also cleaned out loads of dust on fans and in the cpu heat sink. All this activity probably produced a lot of static, so this may still be an issue (obviously this is what affected the RAM). I'm going to check all of the power connections, but that's all I know to do.

Computer:
P4 3GHz
2x512 RAM
geforce 6600gt graphic card with a replaced fan (zalman replacement)
Windows XP SP3

Thanks for any help.
Registration date
Sunday September 27, 2009
Status
Last seen
September 28, 2009

Please help.

I was getting low FPS and occasional freezes playing WOW. Bought a new video card (gtx 260). When I switched the card I got no video signal (installed card in other computer and it is running fine). Changed case fan and motherboard is running around 35c fist cpu at 35c and second core around 58c. Then one of the ram cards died. Uninstalled failed ram, re-installed 7900 gtx video card and computer operated again, but would not load WOW (world of warcraft). Did a fresh install of XP Pro (hard drive checks show no bad sectors) and after downloading upgrades I started getting random re-boots. Switched preferences to not restart and got various error codes mostly refering to swap memory. Computer locked up during one of the upgrade installs, but booted againg several times before latest development. Now the computer does not turn on. Fans and cd and dvd lights come on, but blank screen and I'm not sure if hard drive is spinning.

I will clean the memory cards tomorrow, install inside speaker and check for beeps.

I built the computer a couple years ago and it is running an OEM version of Windows XP Pro. If I switch the motherboard I will also have to switch the ram (current board uses 184 pin and the only 775 socket boards for a Pentium D that I can find all use 240 pin RAM). Can I use the same OEM XP with a new motherboard and RAM or would I need to order a new one if I need a new motherboard (last option)?
P.S. I want everyone to know that I fixed my mouse cursor problem. I didn't want anyone to go to the trouble of helping me trouble shoot something that I fixed. I ended up plugging the USB connector into everyone of my USB ports and finally one worked. But I don't know why the other ports didn't work especially since they work for other USB items I plug into them. But after going through computer hell, one is just thankful something is fixed and not why something else may not work later. But DJ Akshay is still God.
Hi there,
the same thing happened to me several hours ago. Have you changed your video card lately? I switched mine a couple weeks ago with a second hand one which was actually working great although I knew when I put it in that it may have had something wrong with it. I'm not sure if this was the cause of the issue but I'd say it is possible since after switching back to my old card it finally started after pressing the power button a few times and has been working normally all evening.

good luck with that
cheers
Hi All,

I have similar problem with my PC.As you advised,I tried to start my PC by removing RAM ,sometimes I got beep sound but also sometimes I didn't get any beep sound then my CPU fan was also stopped.Thats why I found that sometimes my PC running successfully and sometimes its tottaly in stoped condition only green light in front of CPU is glowing.Can you please help me out from that problem.Even I replaced my SMPS and RAM then also I found same response.Sometimes it starts successfully then automatically takes restart and sometimes its doesn't give any response.Plz Plz help me out...............

Thanks,
Subham
i know how to sol this problem somany times clear this is problem.this is my number +91-9985414240 call me I am clear not only this problem any type of problem I will clear

first of all, this threat is awesome. thanks DJ for all of your suggestions and your vast knowledge.

so i've almost resigned myself to the fact that my computer is ready for the graveyard. I was in the middle of playing a game, and the screen went to blue screen of death for about half a second, then the computer shut off.

pretty sure it wasn't a power surge frying things - 1) I got a blue screen not straight to black, 2) it's on a heavy-duty surge protector and 3) nothing else in my room shows evidence of getthing hit by a surge.

i waited a couple minutes and tried to restart it, and it turned on for 2 seconds, turned off, then turned on again. when it turns on, the fans run, I can hear some hard drive activity (but the green activity light in the front of the computer never lights up), and the cd player works (lights up, will open and close), but no beep and no signal to the monitor. it's not "booting". it does this any time I turn it on.

since it's getting power, i'm fairly certain it's not a power supply issue. I thought maybe it was my cpu or motherboard. but my first test was that maybe I fried my graphics card. so I yanked it out and tried again with the monitor plugged in to the motherboard. nothing. so not the video card.

after unplugging the power cord from the psu and bleeding power (push the power button to use the last charge) when I turn it back on, it doesn't do the on-off-on thing. it just goes on and stays on. but then if I hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on, it does the on-off-stay-on thing again.

but the motherboard never beeps at me. so I thought maybe it was the cpu or the motherboard. I checked and the heat sink under the cpu cooling fan has a lot of dust clogging it up so I thought maybe the cpu was overheating or burned it out. took off the cpu's fan and reseated the cpu a couple times and cleared away dust and got nothing. and it heats up fine (i didn't run it for more than five seconds without a fan, don't worry).

so I thought it was the memory. I have 2 sticks of 2gb memory, and 2 slots to put them in. i've tried every combination possible (using both, switch them around, use one at a time, tried one at a time in each slot)... result - nothing. so I tried taking both memory sticks out to see if that would do anything. when I do that, the computer just does a long constant beep for about 15 seconds, pauses for about 5 seconds, and repeats. from what I read on this message board, that means that the motherboard and cpu are probably ok.

i thought I had struck gold when I read the suggestion about static in the memory, but when I tried to use a pencil eraser ... nothing. same old situation.

- i've tried disconnecting all hard drives
- i've tried switching the power supply from 230v (power supply here) back to 110v and plugging it into a converter to see if it was a voltage issue.
- i've tried pushing in and holding the power button for a minute or more to try to reset things
- i've unplugged the computer, bled power, and taken the battery out of the motherboard to see if that would reset things to default.

nothing has worked - no beeping (besides no memory error) and no display to a monitor.

i don't have anything plugged in except the power cable and the monitor, so it's not a faulty mouse or keyboard.

at this point maybe i've fried both sticks of ram by taking them out and putting them back in so much. or i've fried who-knows-what because i've had to turn the computer on and off so much. but that's after the initial crash, and if it was ram initially, it shouldn't have been both sticks. right? it's also (supposed to be) high quality nvidia ram that I purchased separately and installed a year ago, not poor quality stock ram.

any ideas or suggestions? i've never had a computer go this bad lol. I think it's definately a hardware fault at the lowest level. as far as I can tell, the only things that could affect something at this level are (1) ram (2) mobo (3) cpu or (4) power supply. the mobo doesn't do a thing if I take the cpu out, and based on a constant beep when I start it up with no ram installed I assume that both the cpu and the mobo are likely working as intended. everything seems to be getting plenty of power so i'm pretty sure it's not a power supply issue.

i've read that the turn-on-then-off-then-turn-on-again cycle has to do with the mobo identifying a fault somewhere and trying to restart with default bios settings. but given the evidence that the mobo is fine and this reset not helping, maybe it's identifying a memory fault. so the logical conclusion is that it's a ram issue.

except that i've got two sticks and it's odd that both would fail at the same time. the only thing that I can think that would make them fail together would be the mobo frying them. on the other hand, so maybe it WAS a lingering static charge in the ram that caused the initial issue, but by the time I tried to fix it with a pencil eraser all of the handling (i don't exactly have a clean room here or anti-static mat over here) and on-off cycles have fried both of them.

unfortunately, repeatedly putting the ram in and taking them out might have messed something up in the slots as well. or I didn't do the eraser thing properly and they're still in lockdown due to an internal static charge, but at this point, it's six one way, half a dozen the other: ram's shot.

so what do you think. am I missing anything? i'm almost positive it's bad ram, so I think i'm going to order two new sticks. know of any other fixes? my issue is I don't have any parts to swap out and test the system one component at a time, and that any replacement hardware is going to take at least two weeks to get to me. and I obviously don't want to buy something if I don't need it. so if the new ram doesn't work, i'm probably going to just buy a whole new system (reuse the vid card and hard drives).

know this was really long, but was kind of thinking things through as I typed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again DJ for the suggestions listed above.
Registration date
Thursday November 19, 2009
Status
Last seen
November 20, 2009

hello DJ Akshay, help me figure this out. The problem I had on an old shuttle ss56g were continuous boot cycles until it stopped booting at all. Now, aside from fans spinning full speed and leds lighting up everywhere nothing else happens. From my experience its a sign that something is going on with the bios chip so flashing it should presumably solve the problem. The tricky part about this is flashing it's bios without any type of visual output. This exact problem happened on Acer Aspire One laptops that I worked on, they get a successful flash through a usb, but thats only because AA1 have a built-in BIOS recovery routine, with which you can flash the chip without system booting. Do you think there is any possible way to do the same with another bios chip on a different motherboard? just for kicks I'll try replacing the AA1 bios update with the update for ss56g (fs56 v2.1 mobo) onto the usb stick I used, since it's a phoenix bios too... but I highly doubt something so impractical is going to work. I need some help in figuring this one out. Anybody's input is appreciated. :)
hey there....

ive got a simmilar prob..
i connected a CRT monitor to my comp a few months bak (i usually use a TFT)....
it worked fine for 2 -3 times
thn it wouldnt restart......as in... it got the same problems as mentioned a lot above.....fans running, lights blinkuing...no display ..no keyboard lighting up etc...

i figured I got a scewd mobo...it was under warranty...got it changed...

however...2 days after I get this new MOBO...same problem reoccurs...i try restarting it a few times..it works suddenly...otherwise same probs( fans running, lights blinking, keynboard lights not blinking as they usually do etc..)

this continued for a long time...i wd have to switch it off(by turning off the UPS power ) and restart it a few times to get it working again..it wd work fine thn untill I would switch it off ...thn bam...same prob reoccurs...

now...that is a few weeks back...even my monitor (the original TFT one...15 inch samsung) ...got screwd.....as in ..... it would take a lot of tme to start ( even after the CPU had started up which I would start up after disconnecting the monitor cord from the CPU). the light of the monitor would blink a lot of times...as if it were trying to restart itself... (note....even without a monitor cord connected to the cpu...in which case if the monitor had started, it wd have showd a "check cable" error). now even after waiting for a long time...it doesnt start up.... :(

so to sum it up.....i now have 2 different problems...
1. cpu doesnt boot unless I switch it off and on a few times....( ive tried this with a diffn monitor too)
2. monitor light keeps blinking as if it were restarting itself, but no display, not even "checkk cable"(ive tried this on a different CPU too)

PLEAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP.....im dying and I dunno waht to do..!!!

DJ AKSHAY....i would be very grateful to u if u help me out.....
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Hi dear, this problem is being caused by either the memory card or the graphics card. Try to use the eraser on the gold plated part of the graphics card and the memory card. The problem lies with one of these two things I've mentioned. Please check and let me know by replying back. Don't forget to write my name at the end of the MSG. Thanks.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

@ DJ AKSHAY

hey man...i tried the eraser on my memory stick(i have an integrated graphics card)....no avail. I Still have to power it off and on a few times to get it to boot. What I have recently started doin is I disconnect the monitor cable from my CPU and thn power on the CPU. This way it usually boots in 1-2 tries....otherwise I have to try at least 5-6 times. I check if it has booted or not by the lights of my keyboard(the num lock light comes on if it has successfully started up)

ne idea what to try next??

@ DJ AKSHAY
Registration date
Thursday October 15, 2009
Status
Last seen
November 26, 2009

Hey! guys I was having the same problems and this is what my techy did. he told me he did a Hard Reset, which it resetting the current and info of the cables connected to the MB. So he disconnected all the cable just living the power cord and he turn on the PC for about a minute maybe more and that was it everything cool.

BTW I did test on memory stick, , processor, MB. :S I was bout to buy a new one(thanks God!!!) so what I'm trying to say that what work for me it might not work for you, but make sure to run all the test before you have to spend some money..... hope it works .
so should I try a hard reset....?

if I should, can someone give me specific directions to how its done?

DJ AKSHAY...yr advice wd b helpfull too.....
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 > abhisheksom
Do you have USB keyboard and mouse connected to your pc? If yes, try disconnecting them and power on to see if the system boots up properly by giving display on monitor. Because sometimes faulty usb devices prevent system to boot up. If this also does not work, then I would advise you to replace the memory card with a new one. Keep me informed...
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

@ DJ AKSHAY
no my keyboard and mouse are not usb but PSII. :(

i have been reading on the net a bit for this problem and found some sites suggesting it mite be a PSU problem.
i have a 24 pin motherboard and a 20+4 pin PSU. I noticed that only 20 pins were connected to the PSU and the rest 4 connector jack just hanging loose. Thinking that mite b the problem, I connected the rest of the 4 pins too. However this doesnt seem to work :( . Please advise if it was a bad idea to connect the rest of the 4 pins. ill disconnect thm if u say so.

Ive also read that the problem may b a premature Power_good signal (ive provided the link below).....which means a faulty PSU, does it? Please advise.
http://www.scotsmist.co.uk/power_supply2.html
Hi, I really need your help.
Okay so usually every day I would go the computer but on thanksgiving I was too busy to go on so I didn't even touch it. The next morning I push the power button and it wouldn't turn on. Well when I clicked on it there was a flicker of yellow and then nothing. I notice the fan would turn for a few sec then stop. I hear no beeping and so I tried clicking on the power button muliple times then it finally turn blue and the fan would rotate. The DVD/cd player would open but the usd place doesnt work
and the sceen is still black. I try unplugging all the cords and plugging them back in but still no luck. I also try opening the pc up and dusting it a bit but it still doesnt work. Is there any other way to fix this with out having to go pay it to be fix. Thank you so much for reading all of this and I hope u can help me. :)
Hello,
I recently tried to install ddr3 in my ddr2 slot on my motherboard and now, when I put the old ram back in, and power it up, the fans just get really noisy while the hard drives, and cd drives work while the spinning thing on my nvidia gtx 8800 keeps spinning. Also, ive tried taking the ram out and using an eraser to clean it and when I start the computer with no RAM, it beeps so my motherboard and processor are fine. what could this be and is there any way to fix it?
Thanks