Computer powers on, but does not boot [Solved/Closed]

-
 GimliLOTR -
Hello,

I've had my desktop computer for about one year now. It is an Acer Aspire E380. On Saturday afternoon, it was going a bit slow so I decided to restart it. However, once it turned off, it will no longer turn on and boot up.

The power button usually lights up, but now it does not. But, the decorative words "Aspire" at the bottom of the tower still lights up. The DVD drive still opens, and a few lights blink on start up as usual.

The screen is blank. All of the fans seem to go, except for one. It is the one in the center of the computer on top of a group of metal prongs. It spins upon power up but stops. The power supply fan runs, the other fan runs too.

I have made sure everything is plugged in, and tried plugging it into different outlets. I can't boot from a CD, the keyboard doesn't turn on and neither does the mouse.

As far as starting up goes, everything sounds normal. No beeps or clicks to hint at harddrive failure. Sometimes when I try to start it up nothing comes on but the center fan on the metal prongs (the one that would run for only a few seconds) goes on full blast until I turn it off.

If everything seems to be going, what is stopping it from booting up?

195 replies

how I repair power box of my computer
Linda,
Go back to the memory slot and make sure those memory cards were inserted correctly. Also mat sure the locks snapped when you lock them. There could be a problem when this is not done properly.

Israel
I have a question I have a acer 1360 laptop and it boots goes into the bios and everything but it does not see my HDD I have tried everything I can think of to fix this issue *bootable flash drive* and nothing it wont see the optical drive either any trouble shooting tips would be great
a system hdd is not fot formatting. I want a report.pc doctor helps me or not in this system. if yes but how.
Just fixed my computer.
Symptoms: Computer powered on but the monitor doesn't show anything.
Diagnosis: I have heard a few days ago the fans were revving like crazy for extended period of time.
Based on the above diagonsis and (I agree with SK's comments on 04/03/2010).
I opened the box and a quick visual check revealed that the fan that sits above the CPU is covered entirely with dust. A lot of it. So I unscrewed it and cleaned it thoroughly and while I am at it cleaned the other fans too to the best of my capacity and put them all back in. Turned the machine on and "vwala" everything is back to normal. I seriously contemplated taking it to a repairman before attempting this but am glad I took the initiative to do it myself. 20 minutes is all it took to fix it and costed me nothing. I feel good about it as well.
try replacing the motherboard battery
Registration date
Sunday May 9, 2010
Status
Last seen
May 11, 2010

try to run the cmos set up... if the cmos appears the mother board is alive then reset the jumper...
acomputer is powered off and cannot be powered on again I need the solution now

It could be your power supply outputing wrong voltages. Or your ram could be bad. A lot of things can stop your computer from booting but still let it power up. Don't assume its your mainboard, check everything else first. Try getting a multimeter and checking the voltages and resistances on some of the pins on a power cable coming from your psu. Should be somewhere between 4 and 6 roughly. Any lower and your psu is probably toast.
i had the sam problem, my would just stay at the computer logo screen. I found out if you've connected anything new to your compure (like new speakers or something to any of the usb ports) you might want to shut down your computer and unplug it and then try to start your computer up.
My laptop came on but black screen. I had just finished checking to see how much memory was in it & had opened the case actually had to remove the memory chip to read it. I didn't seat them back snug & only when I did would the pc boot.
system is showing blue screen and is not booting to decktop,what is the problem.i need solution
take out cpu , clean it and replace it (along with thermopaste)
take out the cpu ,CLEAN IT AND put it back (along with thermal paste),
hey , many a time my system used to display tat "BOOT FAILURE,PRESS ANY KEY"i also tried all its recommended advice but it doesn't recover.wat would be the problem.any solution?
If nothing is coming on the screen at all try taking the bios battery out of the computer for 10 mins to restart bios
dude, i'm pretty sure it's your motherboard that's gone bad, I had the same problem where the fan that covers the cpu just goes faster and faster until you turn it off. once I replaced the motherboard w/one my brother had which happened to be the same exact model, my pc booted no problem so I bought a new motherboard and it worked fine after that.
wow, im in luck cuz I read most of these post and I found some very usefull info, but still I must ask, I need some help.
imy computer turns on but does not boot up...its blank. the monitor does not detect anything and I have already taken out the whole computer and re assemble them and I have also use a eraser on the mem, check the temp of the processor and im still vex on what the prob can be.....at the moment im going to buy a new processor and I still wnat to know what the prob could be....is it the motherboard or the processor, also I dont understand the jumper test....sorry...im sorry again for bringing up any conversation that has already been said....thx
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

hey guys am an it eng who would like to share idears with all people all over the cont-net so who ever want to solve ,share new tech I invite you wormly but I dont deal in forge
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

D.J. thanks a zillion for your expertise advice concerning cpu powers on,but does not boot . my cpu was bogging down and running slow ,so I decided to speed it up,but instead of speeding up it quit working.i read your forum and found your answers very helpful in how to reset the cpu to factory specs,after I reset it it came back up and working again.good job ,partner!
hi...bro I hv also same problem.i hv compaq presrio.cpu normally starts but there is noting displaying on monitor.i removed both the RAM but strangely after switching the cpu the beep sound doesn't come.i thought it was the mobo faulty.then,i interchange the two RAM and left the cpu.then I took it to the service center but u can't believe it after starting the cpu the monitor normally shows everything.i was little ashamed there but feeling lucky.
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
9 > flame
Haha, you should at least try every attempt you can when troubleshooting...
I bet the service center did not charge you anything because everything was working fine...
hi im chris, would like to point out that I have a really old pc, and I am delighted to say that for all the solutions, none worked except the BIOS jump! it is very simple, what happens is, if you change the video card driver settings, use the video card for multiple purposes or simply restart your PC to quick the video card gets confused and doesnt know what to do at start up, whn you reset the bios, your refreshing its memory, so it can remember what to do! here is what you do:

1: locate the bios jumpers (usually near cmos, and represnted by a little red thing on three pins)

2: swap the jumper from the two pins its on, to the other two, and leave it for 1-5 minuites

3: put the jumper back and restart your pc! done!

please, if you need any PC repair jobs, or queries, please email me: airwaves-Email Id removed for security (UK only)

hope I helped!
i just wanted to say a million thankyou's for all the info here , my computer is running now after I had similar issues and flashed the bios / cpu as suggested by our very smart friend
THANKYOU
I would just like to say there is a lot of excellent advice on the above problems and thankyou very much for your time and effort in helping myself and so many others.
Can I just also add that I had this problem as well, and in rare cases the internal speaker can be faulty, which can make you suspect mobo failure.
I tried another speaker and then got the beeps, leading to memory failure.