Re-installing WinXP for Acer aspire one ZG5 [Solved/Closed]

Medo - Dec 4, 2008 at 12:09 PM - Latest reply:  siraj
- Oct 22, 2012 at 04:07 AM
Helloe, my friend got the new Aspire One ZG5 (WinXP) based. But now thanks to a virus, the MCAfee that's used isn't helping at all, it just detects and deletes the infected and(or) system files !

There are two partitions: one is 149 GB (single active drive, i.e. C) and the other 8GB is for the system drive. At first we wanted to see if we could hook up an external optical drive to start installing WinXP over again, but I remembered that if 8GB is kept aside, it must be used to sort of repair WinXP or at least install it over again, right?

What do you advice we should do? And is it possible to hook up an external DVD writer to the lap top? Any suggestion on your part, will be of great help to us.

Thanks, waiting for your reply.
See more 

155 replies

Thank you
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not thank you enough for all the help. Now I don't have to kick this piece of shit down the stairs! Lol. Alt+F10 Gets a 5star rating from me! :3
Thank you
ive been using an external monitor I alt f10 and it went well but now the external monitor wont show and my labtop monitor is broken so I need a walkthourgh or video of the restoring factory default
Spartan 669 - Feb 6, 2010 at 09:28 AM
Thank you
He who posted alt f10 is a Digital Jedi God final was able to restore win xp from win 7 the 3 g network was not compatable sucked so bad spent days looking for a way to reboot win xp with no dvd drive finally got thank you
Husband_of_Netbook_User - Feb 26, 2010 at 01:30 PM
Thank you
Thanks, I could not imagine how I was going to fix a pc that would not start.
ubuntu user - Mar 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Thank you
Hey everyone,

I have an AA1 ZG5. I have installed Ubuntu and several other linux distros along with Win. XP. Yesterday, I tried Win XP recovery and I thought it would erase the drive and restore Win XP. Instead, Win XP would not load. Yesterday, I used Ubuntu to try to erase some partitions. I should not have done it because I get the warning "GRUB loading. error: no such partition." What can I do to restore Win XP?

Thank you!
lIC MARCOS NARVAEZ - Mar 20, 2010 at 02:19 PM
Thank you
Necesito el software de Usb_prep 8 para reinstalar xp desde una memoria a mi acer mod 208 s/N LUS030A0168290F6D72500 Y SNID 82906319125
Thank you
the same thing happend to me I dunno wut to do I tryed using a usb but I dont have to win xp disk saved to it
Thank you
guys, can try to hit ALT-F10 when booting. Cheers!
Thank you
Mark... You rock. I tried to boot from the external, but it crashed the bios and I got nothing but a black screen (no boot, bios,NADA). Took a minute to fix that one (http://www.qrpcw.com/2009/01/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html) but after I still had the same problem (BSOD). Alt f10 worked great. Didn't know how to enter the recovery mode. Thanks!
Thank you
has anyone experienced the following: computer is turned-on, hard-drive light blinks a couple of times, no beeps, and the monitor never comes on. Even switched out the monitor, still no show....help!!
Thank you
hi to all who alter original operating system and then want to install the original operating system assuming you did not format the factory image from the drive first you have to put in the win vista or win 7 disk and then format ***0NLY*** the new operating system off of your sytem this is done from the advanced drive options then remove your disk do not start the actual install again after you format the disk remove your install disk and reboot your system and activate your recovery now it should work
Thank you
i wish the actual size of the aspire one's harddrive is the same as my ibm laptop coz what i'm thinking is to juz switch those two harddrives and if it fits, i'll juz leave it there and then re install a new o.s. on the aspire one's hd intalled on my ibm laptop.
Thank you
I bought an Acer Aspire One 532h-2Cb (XP) about 2 months ago. I immediately created an image of the system partition with Macrium Reflect and saved this to a DVD and a spare partition on the Acer. Since then I have used this to successfully restore the system twice, including on one occasion when I managed to mess up the Intel VGA driver. Macrium Reflect supports booting from a USB stick using UNetbootin.

I do not know whether this would work under all circumstances but it seems like a good alternative to the eRecovery disk.
Note that if you use this method you must backup all user data, settings, IE/Firefox bookmarks etc. on the system partition and move your My Documents folder to a non system partition. Caveat Emtor!

I also use this procedure on a Compaq Presario laptop and my desktop system and have had no problems over the past 2 years.

Hope this helps.
Thank you
Mark - Apr 22, 2010 7:26am BST
guys, can try to hit ALT-F10 when booting. Cheers!
Permalink (#155)

MARK THANKS THAT IS WHAT I DID HIT ALT-F10 AND IT IS REINSTALLING AFTER ALL THE CRAP I DID ON HERE YOUR ONE THING WORKED THANKS AWESOME MY GENEIOUS SON TOLD ME IT WAS BROKE THANKS SO MUCH
Thank you
Install the original OS or install a clean version of windows 7. Then afterwards, make sure you install an antivirus for your netbook or other utilities.
Thank you
Hi man, sorry about the problem. But can you tried to repair the windows then copy all the necessary files onto an external drive(pen drive), format the computer using an external ROM drive, install anti virus and put back all your files and lastly go into scanning.
This way it must work out.
Thank you
Thanks it saved my brothers computer
Thank you
dear u must use the Windows XP USB Stick Edition to boot u r pc its the easy way repair to old winxp
Thank you
Your the best mark :-) thanks from greece
Thank you
My Acer Aspire One ZG5 will not boot with the external usb CD Drive and the Factory CD's!
The drive in the laptop has only one partition of 8GB, there are no other drives that I can detect!
I also cannot start the machine with any other boot cd or an oem version of XP without getting
the blue screen of death.
It will not start using the lan boot PXE either, even with the factory CD's and server software.
How does the factory load the dam thing?
The ALT+F10 is usless at this point because the partition is gone!
And it will not start with cloneZilla either in case you didn't read the first part of this message!
I can make it boot to a windows 98 command prompt ok, but noting els works!
I can use windows 98 cd to partition the drive but it is only 8GB in size, so space is limited.
When I try to boot with the factory CD's, all I get is a flashing curser and noting els.
I can't even boot Hiren's or ERD Commander!
Any other ideas?

Help!!
Hi Toby!
Still having trouble?
I re-installed XP recently on my Missus' Acer. I used a boot util called BartPE which was made to boot from usb stick using PEtoUSB and booted to that. Setting up the first time to use BartPE from usb is a bit long winded, but it is a very useful tool to use - I use it for work purposes all the time! It comes pre-installed with some useful tools for troubleshooting and can also delete/re-partition your drive. I just wiped both partiotions and used the full drive.

After a successful boot from usb, you can then copy the contents of your XP CD to a folder on usb (sorry, I'm assuming you have access to another PC for all this!) and install from there.

Hope this helps...
man u need winxp sp3 cd, I got the same problem like u but now I can use ZG5 with xp
Homer > shimafox - Feb 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Plug in the optical drive with your XP disc in it and then reboot and press F2 and enter the BIOS. Under the BOOt menu you will see that the lat bot device is USB cd rom. If your HD is not working then it should move through the various devices that aren't there and then boot from the cd rom . I haven't had to do it but it should work like a normal installation. do a full format during the installation. and try to use a copy of XP that has service pack three on it and the you can disable the Mcafee anti virus ( which is garbage anyway) and I would recommend the New Zone alarm, Anti virus and Firewall. it's on sale at Fry's for $25. it works great.try that see if it helps. If you're still able to get windows loaded even if it's not working properly you can use the same Optical drive and run Partition Magic. to format and partition the drive before yo do the above suggestion. I hope this helps you good luck
recovery first and then install a magic partation to partation a hardisk in to two

Re-installing WinXP for Acer aspire one ZG5 - page 2
Re-installing WinXP for Acer aspire one ZG5 - page 4