Windows Freezes at Black Screen with Mouse [Solved/Closed]

Dixta 2 Posts Saturday November 20, 2010Registration date November 20, 2010 Last seen - Nov 20, 2010 at 02:38 PM - Latest reply:  msaker
- Sep 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Hello,
My computer decided to just not work yesterday afternoon. I wasn't home at the time and my roommate was using my computer. He told me that the internet wasnt working and that he just tried to restart it to make it work. Upon restarting my computer it says "Windows is loading files" (which has never happened before), then just stays on a black screen with an enlarged mouse point that I can move around. I have tried starting in safe mode, going back to last known good config, and booting up with the install disk. They all end up doing the same doing the same thing.

Any help would be much appreciated because I have my final project work on this computer and need to get it done in a months time. Even just help with getting all my files off it and wiping it clean. If you need any more info, let me know. I usually just surf the forums trying to find a fix to my computer problems but I have spent all night and morning looking with no success.

If it helps to know, my comp is running Windows 7 and Linux.
I don't know the specs off the top of my head but can find them.

Ian

See more 

10 replies

Best answer
jack4rall 6507 Posts Sunday June 6, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus December 30, 2015 Last seen - Nov 20, 2010 at 03:06 PM
Thank you
Hello,

Try this 1.

1) Place the Windows 7 disc in the drive and boot from it.

When "Press any key to boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD" appears,

press any key to start booting from installation disc.

Note: If you failed to boot from the installation disc then make sure first boot

device is set as CD\DVD Drive.

2) When the language preference appears, click on Next.

3) When "Install Now" appears --> Click on "Repair your computer" found at the

bottom.

4) Click on "Next" --> Select the option "Use recovery tools that can fix problems

starting Windows" and click on "Next" --> When "System Recovery Options"

appear --> Select the option "Startup Repair".

If the problem still exists, follow the above steps again and this time select the

option "System Restore" and follow the instructions.

Good Luck.

Thank you, jack4rall 2

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1682 users this month

Worked for me as well Kudos!! Thank you so much, I had to go to the command prompt to fix as well.
does it wipe out all ur stuff?
jack4rall 6507 Posts Sunday June 6, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus December 30, 2015 Last seen - May 20, 2011 at 03:08 PM
Hello,
No, It won't wipe all your data.Startup Repair wil fix certain problems such as missing or damaged system files.
Good Luck
Hi there! I don't know if it's because I have an outdated disk but I don't have the "Use recovery tools that can fix problems starting Windows" option. Is this because my disk is outdated?
hey Gwh6133 how did u use command prompt what did u type there?
Best answer
Dixta 2 Posts Saturday November 20, 2010Registration date November 20, 2010 Last seen - Nov 20, 2010 at 06:00 PM
Thank you
It didn't work. It does the same thing it does before. Says windows is loading files and just sits at a black screen with my mouse pointer. I have a feeling that it might be a virus. I was being stupid and installed a "java" update. Could this cause this problem?

Thank you, Dixta 2

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1682 users this month

jack4rall 6507 Posts Sunday June 6, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus December 30, 2015 Last seen - Nov 21, 2010 at 06:01 AM
Hello,
Did you tried system restore from the "System Recovery Options" window? If you have already tried the system restore option, then follow the above 4 steps and this time choose the option
"Command Prompt" in system recovery options.
Now enter the following commands one by one.

bootrec /fixmbr ----> Press Enter.
bcdedit /export c:\bcd_backup ----> Press Enter.

C: ----> Press Enter.
Note : Now your prompt changes to C:\>

cd boot ----> Press Enter.
Note : Now your prompt changes to C:\Boot>

attrib bcd -s -h -r ----> Press Enter.

ren bcd bcd.old ----> Press Enter.

bootrec /rebuildbcd ----> Press Enter.

Follow the instructions ---> type exit and press enter --> Click on "Restart".

Good Luck.