Black screen with windows 98-only cursor move [Solved/Closed]

-
 AS2009 -
Hello,

I am facing the same problem ... have a old laptop with all my son's video games on it.

Windows boots up perfectly .... just before the login screen usually shows up the screen goes black only with a white cursor showing on it.

Its almost like the stuff is there but I can't see it .... when I move the cursor it turns into an I where the place is to enter my login name .... when I enter it on the 2nd line, it gives the music that it usually does when it logs me on.

It gives me all the windows sounds but no picture - just a black screen with white cursor ...

I tried 2 things now:

1. Removed the battery and logged in through power - the result is the same.

2. Went into the bios and restored it to defaults - result is same black screen

Some people mentioned to go into task manager - how do you do that if you can't see anything ?

This problem started when I put in a CD of software that says it needs windows 95 - no response since then - this happened yesterday - have done a force reboot by pressing the power key 15 times since then - but same response.

Scandisk starts after startup as I didn't shut down safely .... then windows 98 logo and then black screen with white cursor ....

Someone please please help - I called microsoft and IBM and lenovo and they brushed their hands off me .... saying the laptop is too old and I should be thankful it lasted so long .. but I am very careful with it and ut it works perfectly and my 5 yr old son is heartbroken that he can't play toy story on it anymore :(

P.S Just now I tried to start it in Safe mode and it started - can anyone tell me what to do now ??

3 replies

Ok - choosing the 256 colors is just making it go into a hung state and windows does not restart - anyone have any more ideas other than installing te adapter driver from the link above ?

Is there anything that I need to be careful of when installing the adapter driver ?
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2775 users have said thank you to us this month

Thanks to all the people on other forum

# Computer Screen goes black after Windows » Forum

This is letting my computer start up now ...

1. Going into Safe Mode - then I press F5 and F8 .... till the Welcome to Windows screen shows up

2. Then I right click on desktop and choose Display properties > Settings - it shows 640 X 680 pixels. I say APPLY - even though I DID NOT CHANGE ANYTHING in the display properties.

It gives me a message saying that "
At this time display properties are limited to troubleshooting. Next time system starts it will be in 640X 480X16 color mode, custom refresh rates wll be removed and secondary display will be disable. After you have restarted you can change the driver and make other setting changes."

So I hit OK button and it says I must restart my computer for new setting to take place and I say Yes then computer restarts.

Also, it shows me that my monitor is a IBM Thinkpad LCD 1024 X 768 and my Display Adapter is RAGE MOBILITY-M AGP (English)

Next time - it shows IBM logo then Microsoft Windows 98 logo and then start my computer with a blown up screen - which is the 640X480 resolution. So at least computer is starting in normal mode.

Now it is giving error " There is problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware" I am going to press ok as that is the only choice.

It opened Display properties and only settings tab it is showing 2 monitors and saying "Drag the monitor to match the physical arrangement of your monitors

Under Display - it shows 2 options:

1. IBM Thinkpad LCS 1024X768 on Rage Mobility - M AGP (English)

2. Default monitor on Rage Mobility -M AGP (English) with 256 colors

I chose option 1 with 256 colors and Screen area 640 X 480 , it is saying needs to restart windows and giving message Windows is now restarting ...... on black screen and again it became the black screen :(
More information on the adapter

Rage Mobility -M AGP (English)
Manufacturer ATI Tech - Enhanced
Chip type Mach 64: Rage Mobility
DAC Type - Internal
Software version 4.0
Current files - ati2drab.drv, *vdd, *Vflatd, ati2vxab.vxd
Ok - so I went in and did all the steps again

1. Safe mode
2. Apply display setting even though I made no change
3. Computer starting up in normal mode - letting me log on

Then giving same error message

" There is problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware" I am going to press ok as that is the only choice.

It opened Display properties and only settings tab it is showing 2 monitors and saying "Drag the monitor to match the physical arrangement of your monitors

Under Display - it shows 2 options:

1. IBM Thinkpad LCS 1024X768 on Rage Mobility - M AGP (English)

2. Default monitor on Rage Mobility -M AGP (English) with 256 colors

I CHOSE OPTION 2 THIS TIME with 256 colors and Screen area 640 X 480 , it is saying needs to restart windows and giving message
" Windows is now restarting ...... "
on black screen for more than 5 min now ...

I am thinking maybe I need to install the adapter driver again .... I found this link for it.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4JRMXK.html

If anyone has any additional thoughts please let me know .... my laptop is an IBM Thinkpad A20m